Kobe Bryant tells a story that sums up Kwame Brown

Oct 7, 2011, 11:39 AM EDT

Kwame-Brown

Kobe Bryant finally won his NBA MVP trophy during the 2007-08 season. But frankly he deserved it more the couple years before that.

If you watched the post Shaq-trade Lakers, Kobe carried that team. Bynum was raw and learning, Lamar Odom was inconsistent (some things never change) and Kobe dragged a team that STARTED Kwame Brown and Smush Parker to 45 wins and the playoffs. That team never should have made it that far, Kobe willed it there.

Which brings us to this great story by Kobe about the team just before the Pau Gasol trade, as reported by Michael Lee at the Washington Post.

“But like, the game before we traded for Pau, were playing Detroit and I had like 40 points towards the end of the game. This is back when Detroit had Rasheed [Wallace], Chauncey [Billups] and those guys, so we had no business being in the game. So down the stretch of the game, they put in a box and one. So I’m surrounded by these players, Detroit players, and Kwame is under the basket, all by himself. Literally, like all by himself. So I pass him the ball, he bobbled it and it goes out of bounds.

“So we go back to the timeout and I’m [upset], right? He goes, ‘I was wide open.’ ‘Yeah, I know.’ This is how I’m talking to him, like, during the game. I said, ‘You’re going to be open again, Kwame, because Rasheed is just totally ignoring you.’ He said, ‘Well, if I’m open don’t throw it to me.’ I was like, ‘Huh?’ He said, ‘Don’t throw it to me.’ I said, ‘Why not?’ He said, well, ‘I’m nervous. If I catch it and he foul me, I won’t make the free throws.’ I said, ‘Hell no!’

“I go to Phil [Jackson], I say, ‘Hey Phil, take him out of the game.’ He’s like, ‘Nah, let him figure it out.’ So, we lose the game, I go the locker room, I’m steaming. Steaming. I’m furious. Then, finally I get a call, they said, ‘You know what, we got something that’s happening with Pau.’ I was like, ‘Alright. Cool.’…That’s what I had to deal with the whole year.”

That is just vintage Kwame, complete with the hands of stone that fumbled away so many great Kobe dishes. And vintage Jackson (“Nah, let him figure it out”). If the Lakers had not traded for Gasol, Kobe would have forced his way off the team that next summer. That or Kobe would have just gone postal in the locker room one night.

1. swill881 - Oct 7, 2011 at 11:47 AM

That is hilarious.

• anilyzerr - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:42 AM

“By the way, Kobe said right before all this he knew this was public, he wasn’t trying to say this behind anyone’ back. He knew what he was saying.”

This sentence is like the Kwame Brown of journalism.

• anilyzerr - Jan 19, 2012 at 7:47 AM

Anyone who says this behind anyone’ back like this would be bad but not like this because Kobe didn’t say this behind anyone’ back because before all this this was public and that is why this wasn’t as bad as this could’ve been considering this is somewhat sensitive but because this is all public this wasn’t behind anyone’ back and he knew publicly what he was saying about him and this is the thing that matters.

ty

2. chitownjeff - Oct 7, 2011 at 2:04 PM

That trade.. that trade is the reason why I end up arguing with Hockey fans that the NBA isn’t fixed.. but when they bring up that trade.. what in the hell can i say? Their’s no conceivable reason why that trade should have happened. Any other team in the league would have given up two front line players and picks for Pau.. and the lakers just gave em Kwame and a not ready for the NBA Javaris Crittendon?? Are you seriously shitting me?? That Jerry West giveaway to his beloved Lakers was unethical, Illogical, and needs to go on the final marker of the logo!!

• jtpat10 - Oct 27, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Hey genius, Jerry West didn’t make the Gasol trade with the Lakers. The Grizzlies G.M. at the time (who DID make the trade) was Chris Wallace.

• 1historian - Dec 12, 2011 at 8:46 PM

Is that the same Chris Wallace who is on MSNBC.com?

That sure would explain a lot

• Mr. Wright 212 - Mar 14, 2012 at 2:59 PM

The Grizzlies are good NOW because of that trade. When will you lazy puppets stop parroting this nonsense? It’s been four years, proven the following draft and subsequently — to NOT be true — and you’re STILL saying it?

• cpmustang - Oct 31, 2011 at 5:48 PM

Uhm… No. Memphis needed to dump Pau. The Grizz were (and still are) a few years away from being contenders. They got his younger brother Marc, who is putting up Pau-like numbers, as well as picks and cash. Basically they traded a player who was already matured for a bunch of young talent. Out of all my friends, I was the only one who thought it was a decent trade for the Grizz… Some of them are starting to come around.

• cpmustang - Oct 31, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Read this article and get educated: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/sports/basketball/01grizzlies.html

• bozosforall - Nov 18, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Lakers haters wanna hate.

Now let’s talk about how Kevin McHale gave his beloved Celtics a title via the deal where he dealt Kevin Garnett to Boston from Minnesota for a bunch of never-were’s.

• paranormalbass - May 16, 2013 at 4:03 PM

Lol are you dumb? We also gave up two first round picks AND MARC GASOL

3. wanghunglo - Oct 7, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I once went up to Kwame at a pregame shoot around and handed him a sharpie to autograph my sons basketball. He fumbled the sharpie and dropped it so luckily I had another which I tossed his way without hesitation. He dropped that instead of catching it. Point is, my son and I walked away with no autograph. How did this guy make it to the NBA?

4. 00maltliquor - Oct 7, 2011 at 5:09 PM

True story: I was at work patching up some concrete walls when a friend of mine called and told me Kwame got traded. He didn’t even know who it was for, but I jumped up in excitement and started running around the job site screaming in pure extacy. I HATED Kwame so damn much that it didn’t matter who we got back in return. When I got home and found out it was for Pau I almost passed out! I then called everyone I knew that watches hoops and claimed we’d get multiple championships right away. 3 finals trips and 2 rings in 4 years later here we are…talking about Kwame telling Kobe not to pass it to him if he’s under the basket wide open ’cause he was NERVOUS! What a chump! My least favorite Laker in Laker history!!!

5. whiskeyontherox - Oct 18, 2011 at 4:32 PM