Oct 7, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
A few Memphis boosters were ticked. Really ticked. And they would not quit.
So they threatened a lawsuit naming former Memphis player Derrick Rose, former Memphis coach John Calipari, and Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson after the team got put on sanctions, all surrounding Rose not taking his own SATs (allegedly).
Be clear, if Calipari and Rose had fought this legal threat they would have won. Easily. But not until some ugly PR about them had come public. Not until old wounds had been re-opened. So they decided to settle, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal (via Eye on Basketball).
You got the bonus back. All $232,000 after-tax dollars. Paid to the Memphis scholarship fund. I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t read the confidential settlement agreement with my own eyes.
“Mr. Calipari agrees to donate the bonus he received,” it said…
Former Memphis star Derrick Rose agreed to make “a suitable donation” to the university. Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson agreed to give back the $105,875 bonus ($71,306.81 after taxes) that most of us didn’t even know he had received.
First off, nicely done Memphis boosters. You love the winning and a should have been as shocked to see recruiting violations as Captain Renault was to see gambling in Rick’s Café. What’s more, if I’m an elite recruit now and I read how you go after former players there if you’re unhappy, I cross you off the list of potential schools.
What’s more, Rose could have been a great ambassador for the university. Now you think he wants to do that?
College recruiting is as dirty a game as you’re going to find. It’s ugly. And if those Memphis boosters want to do something useful start working for ways to clean it up nationally. This was stupid and vengeful.
- Kevin Love leaving Team USA not helpful, certainly not devastating either 0
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 14
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 15
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32