Oct 7, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
A few Memphis boosters were ticked. Really ticked. And they would not quit.
So they threatened a lawsuit naming former Memphis player Derrick Rose, former Memphis coach John Calipari, and Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson after the team got put on sanctions, all surrounding Rose not taking his own SATs (allegedly).
Be clear, if Calipari and Rose had fought this legal threat they would have won. Easily. But not until some ugly PR about them had come public. Not until old wounds had been re-opened. So they decided to settle, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal (via Eye on Basketball).
You got the bonus back. All $232,000 after-tax dollars. Paid to the Memphis scholarship fund. I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t read the confidential settlement agreement with my own eyes.
“Mr. Calipari agrees to donate the bonus he received,” it said…
Former Memphis star Derrick Rose agreed to make “a suitable donation” to the university. Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson agreed to give back the $105,875 bonus ($71,306.81 after taxes) that most of us didn’t even know he had received.
First off, nicely done Memphis boosters. You love the winning and a should have been as shocked to see recruiting violations as Captain Renault was to see gambling in Rick’s Café. What’s more, if I’m an elite recruit now and I read how you go after former players there if you’re unhappy, I cross you off the list of potential schools.
What’s more, Rose could have been a great ambassador for the university. Now you think he wants to do that?
College recruiting is as dirty a game as you’re going to find. It’s ugly. And if those Memphis boosters want to do something useful start working for ways to clean it up nationally. This was stupid and vengeful.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 12
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 23
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 11
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 13
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26