Oct 7, 2011, 3:57 PM EDT
A few Memphis boosters were ticked. Really ticked. And they would not quit.
So they threatened a lawsuit naming former Memphis player Derrick Rose, former Memphis coach John Calipari, and Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson after the team got put on sanctions, all surrounding Rose not taking his own SATs (allegedly).
Be clear, if Calipari and Rose had fought this legal threat they would have won. Easily. But not until some ugly PR about them had come public. Not until old wounds had been re-opened. So they decided to settle, according to the Memphis Commercial Appeal (via Eye on Basketball).
You got the bonus back. All $232,000 after-tax dollars. Paid to the Memphis scholarship fund. I wouldn’t have believed it if I didn’t read the confidential settlement agreement with my own eyes.
“Mr. Calipari agrees to donate the bonus he received,” it said…
Former Memphis star Derrick Rose agreed to make “a suitable donation” to the university. Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson agreed to give back the $105,875 bonus ($71,306.81 after taxes) that most of us didn’t even know he had received.
First off, nicely done Memphis boosters. You love the winning and a should have been as shocked to see recruiting violations as Captain Renault was to see gambling in Rick’s Café. What’s more, if I’m an elite recruit now and I read how you go after former players there if you’re unhappy, I cross you off the list of potential schools.
What’s more, Rose could have been a great ambassador for the university. Now you think he wants to do that?
College recruiting is as dirty a game as you’re going to find. It’s ugly. And if those Memphis boosters want to do something useful start working for ways to clean it up nationally. This was stupid and vengeful.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 8
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 39
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31