Oct 5, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.
Well, if a high school team had 26-year-old LeBron James suited up, they probably couldn’t lose.
LeBron went Friday Night Lights on Tuesday afternoon, putting on the pads and walking on the practice field at St. Vincent-St. Mary (where he went to high school) and went through part of the practice with the varsity squad. He even tweeted about it.
Members of the state’s third ranked Division III team were shocked when two-time NBA MVP LeBron James showed up for practice wearing full pads and took part in the late afternoon session.
“I not gonna lie, it was pretty cool to see him out there,” said starting quarterback Kevin Besser….
While James looked like one of the guys, according to Besser, he didn’t play like one.
“He caught everything, he didn’t drop a pass,” the quarterback said. “I probably threw six or seven passes his way and he went up and got everything.”
James was basically wearing the red QB jersey — players were not allowed to tackle him. So, some skinny little high school cornerback could try to jam 6’8”, 250 pound LeBron at the line of scrimmage then just had to keep up with him and stop him from catching passes. Good luck with that.
LeBron did play a little football in high school before concentrating on basketball. Which turned out to be a wise decision. But there are only a handful of players that you see in an NBA locker room and think “that guy has an NFL body.” LeBron is on that list, he looks like a tight end (and potentially a very good one).
Pretty sure he doesn’t have any eligibility left for St. Vincent-St. Mary, though.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 8
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 17
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3