Oct 5, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.
Well, if a high school team had 26-year-old LeBron James suited up, they probably couldn’t lose.
LeBron went Friday Night Lights on Tuesday afternoon, putting on the pads and walking on the practice field at St. Vincent-St. Mary (where he went to high school) and went through part of the practice with the varsity squad. He even tweeted about it.
Members of the state’s third ranked Division III team were shocked when two-time NBA MVP LeBron James showed up for practice wearing full pads and took part in the late afternoon session.
“I not gonna lie, it was pretty cool to see him out there,” said starting quarterback Kevin Besser….
While James looked like one of the guys, according to Besser, he didn’t play like one.
“He caught everything, he didn’t drop a pass,” the quarterback said. “I probably threw six or seven passes his way and he went up and got everything.”
James was basically wearing the red QB jersey — players were not allowed to tackle him. So, some skinny little high school cornerback could try to jam 6’8”, 250 pound LeBron at the line of scrimmage then just had to keep up with him and stop him from catching passes. Good luck with that.
LeBron did play a little football in high school before concentrating on basketball. Which turned out to be a wise decision. But there are only a handful of players that you see in an NBA locker room and think “that guy has an NFL body.” LeBron is on that list, he looks like a tight end (and potentially a very good one).
Pretty sure he doesn’t have any eligibility left for St. Vincent-St. Mary, though.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 32
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 47
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42