Oct 5, 2011, 2:17 PM EDT
Clear eyes, full hearts, can’t lose.
Well, if a high school team had 26-year-old LeBron James suited up, they probably couldn’t lose.
LeBron went Friday Night Lights on Tuesday afternoon, putting on the pads and walking on the practice field at St. Vincent-St. Mary (where he went to high school) and went through part of the practice with the varsity squad. He even tweeted about it.
Members of the state’s third ranked Division III team were shocked when two-time NBA MVP LeBron James showed up for practice wearing full pads and took part in the late afternoon session.
“I not gonna lie, it was pretty cool to see him out there,” said starting quarterback Kevin Besser….
While James looked like one of the guys, according to Besser, he didn’t play like one.
“He caught everything, he didn’t drop a pass,” the quarterback said. “I probably threw six or seven passes his way and he went up and got everything.”
James was basically wearing the red QB jersey — players were not allowed to tackle him. So, some skinny little high school cornerback could try to jam 6’8”, 250 pound LeBron at the line of scrimmage then just had to keep up with him and stop him from catching passes. Good luck with that.
LeBron did play a little football in high school before concentrating on basketball. Which turned out to be a wise decision. But there are only a handful of players that you see in an NBA locker room and think “that guy has an NFL body.” LeBron is on that list, he looks like a tight end (and potentially a very good one).
Pretty sure he doesn’t have any eligibility left for St. Vincent-St. Mary, though.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 41
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30