Oct 4, 2011, 3:55 PM EDT
Tracy McGrady is still far more popular in China than his game warrants — he was the star playing beside Yao Ming for years in Houston and will always be remembered that way in China.
So it’s not shocking to see rumors of him signing in China popping up now and again.
But it’s not happening, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
A source with knowledge of McGrady’s thinking insisted Tuesday to ESPN.com that he’s “not playing in China this year no matter what people read.”
After a few season ravaged by injury, McGrady bounced back with the Pistons and had a solid season in a dysfunctional situation, playing in 72 games and giving them 8 points a game playing nearly 24 minutes. He had a PER right at the league average of 14.9. That’s not 2002-03, vintage jaw-dropping McGrady, but it’s solid. That’s the kind of veteran support contenders like to see off the bench if they can get it at an affordable price. And McGrady is a free agent.
McGrady may draw that kind of interest… if we ever have a season. But he’s not playing in China, so you can move on from that one.
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 0
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 9
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 18
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 7
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (68)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final