Oct 4, 2011, 3:55 PM EST
Tracy McGrady is still far more popular in China than his game warrants — he was the star playing beside Yao Ming for years in Houston and will always be remembered that way in China.
So it’s not shocking to see rumors of him signing in China popping up now and again.
But it’s not happening, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
A source with knowledge of McGrady’s thinking insisted Tuesday to ESPN.com that he’s “not playing in China this year no matter what people read.”
After a few season ravaged by injury, McGrady bounced back with the Pistons and had a solid season in a dysfunctional situation, playing in 72 games and giving them 8 points a game playing nearly 24 minutes. He had a PER right at the league average of 14.9. That’s not 2002-03, vintage jaw-dropping McGrady, but it’s solid. That’s the kind of veteran support contenders like to see off the bench if they can get it at an affordable price. And McGrady is a free agent.
McGrady may draw that kind of interest… if we ever have a season. But he’s not playing in China, so you can move on from that one.
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 0
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 6
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 14
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 17
- Grizzlies top Spurs in triple overtime. Best game of the season. So far. 4
- Report: Mavericks and Celtics in ‘substantive discussion’ about Rajon Rondo trade 23
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 13
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 19