Oct 4, 2011, 3:55 PM EDT
Tracy McGrady is still far more popular in China than his game warrants — he was the star playing beside Yao Ming for years in Houston and will always be remembered that way in China.
So it’s not shocking to see rumors of him signing in China popping up now and again.
But it’s not happening, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
A source with knowledge of McGrady’s thinking insisted Tuesday to ESPN.com that he’s “not playing in China this year no matter what people read.”
After a few season ravaged by injury, McGrady bounced back with the Pistons and had a solid season in a dysfunctional situation, playing in 72 games and giving them 8 points a game playing nearly 24 minutes. He had a PER right at the league average of 14.9. That’s not 2002-03, vintage jaw-dropping McGrady, but it’s solid. That’s the kind of veteran support contenders like to see off the bench if they can get it at an affordable price. And McGrady is a free agent.
McGrady may draw that kind of interest… if we ever have a season. But he’s not playing in China, so you can move on from that one.
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 25
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 44
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 15
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 8
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 55