Oct 4, 2011, 3:55 PM EDT
Tracy McGrady is still far more popular in China than his game warrants — he was the star playing beside Yao Ming for years in Houston and will always be remembered that way in China.
So it’s not shocking to see rumors of him signing in China popping up now and again.
But it’s not happening, reports Marc Stein at ESPN.
A source with knowledge of McGrady’s thinking insisted Tuesday to ESPN.com that he’s “not playing in China this year no matter what people read.”
After a few season ravaged by injury, McGrady bounced back with the Pistons and had a solid season in a dysfunctional situation, playing in 72 games and giving them 8 points a game playing nearly 24 minutes. He had a PER right at the league average of 14.9. That’s not 2002-03, vintage jaw-dropping McGrady, but it’s solid. That’s the kind of veteran support contenders like to see off the bench if they can get it at an affordable price. And McGrady is a free agent.
McGrady may draw that kind of interest… if we ever have a season. But he’s not playing in China, so you can move on from that one.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8