Oct 3, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
Coming out of high school, Josh Selby was a sure fire lottery pick. Last June, the Memphis Grizzlies scooped the guard up at No. 49. His stock fell fast in Kansas.
Then this summer, he has done nothing but impress. I saw him at the Impact Series “lockout league” in Las Vegas and he stood out — both because of his athleticism and because what I had read was an inconsistent jumper looked plenty steady to me. He dropped 42 and seven in one game there.
“He’s the steal of the draft,” Randolph said. “The young fella is going to help us.”
Selby also showed some pure point guard skills in the summer games, when he was touted as more of a scoring point. No doubt the guy is an explosive athlete. There is a lot to like.
Now the words of caution: Explosive athletes thrive in the free-flowing games of summer. But when we get to real NBA games where the defenses tighten and guys have to play within a system… well, that is where Selby struggled at Kansas. Well, that and being suspended the first nine games of the season. The Morris twins became the stars there and fans in Lawrence were not kind to Selby.
Selby is coming into a Memphis squad that last season evolved into a real team. Selby is not the guy on this roster who should be taking a lot of shots — Rudy Gay and Z-Bo get the shots; Marc Gasol and O.J. Mayo get the lion’s share of what’s left. Selby has to work his way into that rotation, he cannot dominate the ball and score like he did this summer. Mike Conley is thriving as the point guard now in Memphis because he has learned how to run that team and get the ball to the scorers.
But if Selby can accept that mentally — and if his shot falls like it did in Las Vegas — he could really be the steal of the draft. And Memphis would have just gotten younger and better.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 5
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43