Oct 3, 2011, 11:22 AM EDT
Today, the eyes of the NBA will be on a swanky Manhattan hotel where the NBA and players union will meet again. NBA talk will be about salary caps and basketball related income, with breaks to discuss star-studded games in Miami and Los Angeles next weekend.
What today should be about was NBA training camps opening and us trying to figure out what the heck Metta World Peace (aka Ron Artest) is talking about.
Monday should have been NBA media day league wide, the ritual that is the first day of NBA training camps. Photos would be taken, promos would have been filled and optimism would have abounded — even in Minnesota for a change. Nobody had yet lost a game or suffered an injury. Dallas would talk about repeating, Miami would sound cocky and Carmelo Anthony would talk about his commitment to defense. All things would be possible.
Thanks so much, NBA.
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 2
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 5
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 4
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 7
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 45
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 5
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19