Oct 3, 2011, 11:22 AM EDT
Today, the eyes of the NBA will be on a swanky Manhattan hotel where the NBA and players union will meet again. NBA talk will be about salary caps and basketball related income, with breaks to discuss star-studded games in Miami and Los Angeles next weekend.
What today should be about was NBA training camps opening and us trying to figure out what the heck Metta World Peace (aka Ron Artest) is talking about.
Monday should have been NBA media day league wide, the ritual that is the first day of NBA training camps. Photos would be taken, promos would have been filled and optimism would have abounded — even in Minnesota for a change. Nobody had yet lost a game or suffered an injury. Dallas would talk about repeating, Miami would sound cocky and Carmelo Anthony would talk about his commitment to defense. All things would be possible.
Thanks so much, NBA.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37