Oct 3, 2011, 8:46 AM EST
At least they are still talking.
Despite the finger pointing and testy dialogue at times, the NBA owners and players continue to sit across the table from each other. They’re talking. That is a real, tangible positive. It may be the only good one out of the NBA labor talks. And it continues this week.
Monday, they will be at it again, with a small group meeting of league and union officials in a New York hotel. Good.
Not that they are going to get anywhere.
The two sides met for more than 13 hours combined on Friday and Saturday then came out talking about how there was no meaningful progress. There were phrases like “miles apart” and “big gap” thrown around by both sides. While all that talking got them closer than they were before, it didn’t get them close.
And on Saturday they didn’t even discuss the biggest issue — how to split up basketball related income — because they are so far apart it was better to move on to things they might be able to solve. They talked salary cap system, rookie age limit and other issues that will be part of the CBA, but are not the core issue.
Unless the two sides have a sudden breakthrough and can reach a handshake deal in the next 48 hours, expect the league to cancel the remaining preseason schedule soon after.
The postponement of regular season games cannot be far behind.
But at least they are talking again today.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)