Oct 3, 2011, 10:02 AM EDT
Say what you want about Isiah Thomas — and we’ve said plenty over the years — the man knows about being disliked. He was the best player on the “bad boy” Pistons teams. You’ll be hard pressed to find people around the old CBA league that speaks well of him. And then there’s the entire city and state of New York.
So I guess that gives him some kind of authority to speak about not being liked.
Right now, nobody is hated around the NBA like LeBron James and the Miami Heat. And Thomas said he knows why, reports our own Ira Winderman, writing for the South Florida Sun Sentinel.
“It kind of comes with the territory when you’re really good,” Thomas said. “Nobody cares about the loser. Everybody likes the loser.
“Some people are not going to like you because you are successful and I think LeBron has been extremely successful since high school and Wade has been successful and I think those guys will continue to be successful. And with their success, there are going to be some people who are upset with that.”
Um, I’m not sure that’s it. I think it’s more about how LeBron put a shank in the back of Cleveland like it was a prison fight, did that on national television, then was seen acting care-free at a wild pep rally in Miami 48 hours later talking about seven rings. It’s not LeBron’s success, or even making a move to Miami that was totally within his rights (if you’re mad about him even going to Miami, and you’re not from Cleveland, you’re wrong), it’s about how he did it. It left people with a bad taste.
Thomas is the coach of college team in Miami, one who is hosting a big Nike/LeBron charity game next Saturday, so you know he’s going to stick up for LeBron now. It’s all about how you see LeBron from your perspective.
I’m just not sure Thomas’ perspective matches most of the nations. Not sure it ever has.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Number shows Matthew Dellavedova’s defensive value 0
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 25
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 22
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 15