Oct 3, 2011, 12:00 PM EST
Never, not for one minute, think that how you as a fan feel about your heated rival is how a player feels. No matter what intensity you see on the court. This is not the 1950s.
As evidence, we present you Knicks, Celtics and Heat players all partying together like it’s 1999. That just hours after NBA lockout negotiations that went nowhere. Nothing makes you want to party like the NBA season being postponed any day now.
The New York Post has the details (via Eye on Basketball).
On Friday night Carmelo Anthony held court, playing host to Miami Heat’s LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, Boston Celtics’ Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, taking the guys to the five-year anniversary party of Meatpacking hotspot Tenjune. The basketball greats were treated to a DJ set by Swizz Beatz. According to an insider at the club, “The towering athletes parted the crowd, with Carmelo leading the pack.” And, “Despite the standstill and frustration regarding the current lockout, all of the guys were in great spirits, most notably Carmelo.”
The NBA is like a large fraternity, and most of these guys have been playing with and against each other since high school on AAU, college and other teams. They like each other, relate to each other in a way they don’t with fans. They go at it hard on the court, but the animosity is left in the locker room. So while Celtics fans hate the idea of their players hanging with Heat players, that’s just the NBA.
But notice Kevin Garnett was not there.
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: Kobe plays pretty well, Suns’ backcourt plays better 0
- Pacers win first Conference Finals rematch vs. Heat 14
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 25
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 12
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 55
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark (55)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade (35)
- Fan wanders onto court while game is going on during Cavaliers-Clippers (VIDEO) (34)