Oct 2, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
Howard, everyone forgets, was an All-Star in 2007 and a borderline All-Star for years before that. He was a huge part of the Mavericks’ first Finals run and the subsequent team that was awesome yet no one remembers because they lost to the freaking Warriors in the first round. Howard’s effectiveness is obviously minimal at this point due to age and injury, but for a team like Boston in a limited role, he could likely contribute just the kind of production they need. He’s a smart, veteran player that has tried to be a leader in the locker room and on the floor. For a Celtics team that tends to turn into lost children when the Big 3 aren’t on the floor, Howard would fit in nicely, as well as being a player who can hit from multiple spots on the floor.
Howard playing small forward of course causes complications with Jeff Green who will probably spend quite a bit of time at the small forward spot (since he’s a horrid rebounder) behind Paul Pierce. But in a smaller lineup, Howard could play next to Green. Howard fits in from multiple perspectives, and seems like the kind of guy the Celtics would take a flyer on.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 6
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record