Oct 1, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
Robert Sarver probably gets a bad wrap sometimes. I mean, yes, he does sell off draft picks like an EBay junkie and yeah, his organization has the turnover rate of your average fast food joint. But the Suns have consistently made the playoffs or been within reach for the past decade and he has made an honest effort to compete. So he probably doesn’t deserve the entirety of the grief he’s received. Still, the lockout has had some stories of him being ridiculous. Notably, he and Dan Gilbert reportedly submarined efforts towards a compromise a few weeks ago, a position that Dan Gilbert is said to be softening on. Sarver, though? Sarver’s holding that line. And for some very odd reasons, as reported by Yahoo! Sports:
Once again, Phoenix Suns owners Robert Sarver was the most vocal proponent of the owner’s case, and he befuddled players by insisting that his wife had asked him to bring back the middle level exception in a designer bag. He’s been a strong advocate for a hard salary cap, and a source said that Sarver told the players in the room that he hadn’t been able to get the return on buying the Suns that he had hoped.
Your wife… wanted you to bring home the mid-level exception… in a designer bag.
I’ll take “woefully removed from the economic realities of America” for $600, Alex.
I get the talk that we can’t compare owners or players’ issues to your average Americans because they’re so different. I get the complexities of markets and sports economics. But as far as I know, a dollar has the same value to Robert Sarver as it does to any of you. And talking about your wife wanting the mid-level exception in a designer bag, and using that as a reason to slow progress towards a deal that would save thousands of jobs this year and boost the economies of 29 cities is beyond absurd.
And if anyone in that negotiating room is in need of a Michael-Jordan-esque “If you can’t afford to run your team, then sell it,” it’s Sarver. You haven’t seen the return on the Suns that you were hoping for? Maybe you should get out of the Suns business. Just an idea. I don’t know, maybe ask your wife.
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 0
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 12
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 10
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 6
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 36