Oct 1, 2011, 4:08 AM EDT
Dwyane Wade is now the hero to a lot of players.
Commissioner David Stern is the biggest power broker in these ongoing labor negotiations but Wade got in his face Friday. Wade went Dee Snider — he wasn’t going to take it anymore. During Friday’s talks it was Wade who stood up to and yelled at Stern at one point, leading a confrontation that nearly had players storming out of the negotiations.
Source: David Stern pointed his finger at players while talking. Wade shouted, “You’re not pointing your finger at me. I’m not your child.”
Yea, these negotaitions are going great. Should have a deal in a couple days. Can’t see how that will be a problem.
Star players – LeBron, CP3, PPierce, Baron Davis, Melo, – were ready to leave meeting but Stern asked for private talk w/Billy Hunter….
Hunter then calmed stars down and got them to return to meeting. Players’ resolve stunned owners, sources said.
There are a lot of players that have wanted to yell at Stern over the years. Now one did. Wade spoke truth to power (at least from a players perspective). He almost took a flamethrower to the negotiations and made a point for the players in doing so.
Broussard’s point that the owners were stunned by the players resolve speaks a lot to these talks — the owners are finding the players less willing to cave in than they thought. Friday it was the players turn to be the hardliners. The players feel they have given back, they’re not just going to lie down and take it. They are going to fight for what they want.
Wade showed that and provided the drama out of Friday’s meeting. The other thing we heard from a source is that through all of the five hours of talks Friday the two sides have not really moved much closer together. A lot of ideas have been thrown around, and they will be again Saturday and beyond as the two sides talk. There was at least enough there for the two sides to get together again. But that is different than a breakthrough that will see labor peace.
But Wade made a breakthrough for a lot of players. He’s not going to take it, anymore.
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 27
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 35
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25