Oct 1, 2011, 6:58 PM EST
They met for seven hours and have nothing to show for it, at least in terms of letting the public know.
The NBA and NBPA met for seven hours Saturday. The result was “no deal,” with “huge gaps’ between the two sides according to Derek Fisher. The two sides decided to take Sunday off, since, you know, they have so much else to do and it is football season and all, and will resume talks Monday.
Fisher said the meeting Saturday, after a contentious larger meeting Friday, split the issues up into smaller groups, focused on systemic changes. The two sides did not discuss the biggest point of disagreement, the BRI split. As Fisher described it,
Fisher: “Maybe if we split them up and try to go at them one at a time … we can at least get some momentum and some progress going.”
David Stern was on the lighter side of the aisle, saying
Stern: “We’re not near anything. But wherever that is, we’re closer than we were before.”
So where are we? Nowhere. And there’s starting to be word that the rest of the preseason will be cancelled this week and soon after that, regular season games.
NBA will cancel rest of preseason shortly and probably wait a little longer to axe regular season ones. Yet that’s inevitable at this point.
Everyone keeps saying “there’s time, there’s time!” But the owners won’t move off of 46 percent BRI, the players off of 53 percent, and even attempts to work around BRI to get to the other issues have netted nothing but minimal progress.
The ledge isn’t beneath us. But you can see the precipice.
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 15
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 14
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 28
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6
- Lakers forward Xavier Henry ruptured Achilles in practice, out for season 23
- PBT Extra: Our Thanksgiving week turkeys, starting with the 76ers 2