Sep 30, 2011, 5:09 PM EDT
Stephen Curry grew up in Charlotte, played his high school ball there, played his college ball at Davidson in the city — he loves it in North Carolina.
And if the chance to play professional ball for the Bobcats ever came up, Curry told the Charlotte Observer he’d be interested. Even if he does use a double negative in talking about it.
“Of course I’d like to play here – it’s home and I know a lot of people. But that doesn’t mean I’m trying to get out of Golden State,” Curry said Thursday in a wide-ranging interview with the Observer.
“There’s no reason I would not want to play in Charlotte. Maybe the pressure of being around family all the time would affect some people, but I wouldn’t be opposed to any of that.”
Curry has been busy this summer, he got married, rehabbing his ankle and now is back at Davidson taking a few classes to finish up getting his degree. I get how he loves Charlotte and lives there. I know he said he’s not looking to leave the Bay Area. But I hope he gets how Golden State could be an awesome spot to be right now.
While the labor talks are trying to give smaller markets like Charlotte a chance, Golden State is in a great position to leap forward under its new owners under any labor deal. The team is in a large and wealthy market, it has a loyal fan base and it has owners apparently willing to spend to win. Those owners are trying to change the culture of the Warriors, which is where you have to start. No doubt Michael Jordan wants to win in Charlotte, but both the market and his finances will not allow him to spend like Golden State potentially could. And there is a nice core of players to start with in Golden State (starting with Curry himself).
Then again, I know Paul Silas can coach. I’ve got questions about Mark Jackson. Still, Golden State should be a franchise on the rise. Should. We will see
- Report: Dante Exum diagnosed with torn ACL 7
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 23
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 7
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 24
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9