Sep 30, 2011, 9:49 AM EDT
The Italian League where Kobe Bryant is close to playing is not quite like the NBA in a lot of ways. One is the scheduling — as in it’s not set yet. The league is set to tip-off Oct. 9 but the schedule is still being reworked. For example, Venezia was just being added as the league’s 17th team so games are being added.
With Virtus Bologna on the verge of signing Kobe, Virtus asked league officials to schedule 10 games for the team in its first 40 days, and against the biggest teams in the biggest arenas. Italian league teams traditionally only play one game a week, usually on Sunday, but Virtus asked for mid-week games during the Kobe window as well.
That request got shot down, and it could kill the Kobe deal, reports Sportando.
Virtus Bologna informed via its official website that Legabasket rejected its proposal to make a special schedules for the Italian team in case of Kobe Bryant’s signing.
Virtus asked to play as many game as possible during the 40 days of Kobe Bryant in Italy against the best team and in the biggest arena. The goal of Virtus was to have big share and the biggest arena sold out to make more money. The other Italian teams refused the request made by Virtus and now the deal between Bologna and Kobe Bryant is on the verge of collapse.
Having ten games in 40 days, all of them broadcasted, was one of the basis of the entire Kobe Bryant’s operation.
Team owner Claudio Sabatini basically said he needed 10 games to make the money back on the deal, if he doesn’t have them, if they play just half that, it may well fall apart as fast as it came together.
Sabatini has gone on to blame what he called the biggest names in the Italian league for killing the deal. That likely is a reference to Siena and Milano, although that is up for debate.
Come back to PBT throughout the day for updates on a story moving as fast and changing directions like a Brett Favre retirement plan.
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 7
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 8
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 13
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 33
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 25
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 7