Sep 30, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
Details have emerged from the arrest of Pistons center Ben Wallace for drunk driving and carrying a concealed weapon.
According to a police report obtained by the Detroit News, Wallace said the gun in the car was registered to his wife and he had forgotten it was in the car. Also, police described him a cooperative and that he admitted he had been in the wrong.
Wallace will face charges for his arrest, and he has drawn the same judge that sentenced Jalen Rose to 20 days in jail for his first DUI offense.
The handgun had been found in a backpack in the back seat of the car, something the police looked through after seeing several rounds of ammunition on the center console in the car, according to the police report.
In an interview room, Wallace told police the handgun belonged to his wife, was registered only to her, and he had placed it in the backpack for protection before driving from Virginia back to Michigan the day before.
He said he had “completely forgot the gun was in his backpack and when he got back to Michigan went out with his buddy and had some drinks …,” according to a police report written by Lt. Mark Paquin, who said Wallace said “if he had known tonight was going to end up this way, he would have done things differently.”.
“Mr. Wallace said he knew he was in the wrong, and he shouldn’t have had the gun, he also told me that he was a criminal justice major in college,” Lt. Mark Paquin wrote in his report.
Normally Wallace would be facing discipline from the NBA league office on top of his legal issues, but due to the lockout the league cannot talk about Wallace and has no CBA language on which to suspend him.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 41
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30