Sep 30, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
Details have emerged from the arrest of Pistons center Ben Wallace for drunk driving and carrying a concealed weapon.
According to a police report obtained by the Detroit News, Wallace said the gun in the car was registered to his wife and he had forgotten it was in the car. Also, police described him a cooperative and that he admitted he had been in the wrong.
Wallace will face charges for his arrest, and he has drawn the same judge that sentenced Jalen Rose to 20 days in jail for his first DUI offense.
The handgun had been found in a backpack in the back seat of the car, something the police looked through after seeing several rounds of ammunition on the center console in the car, according to the police report.
In an interview room, Wallace told police the handgun belonged to his wife, was registered only to her, and he had placed it in the backpack for protection before driving from Virginia back to Michigan the day before.
He said he had “completely forgot the gun was in his backpack and when he got back to Michigan went out with his buddy and had some drinks …,” according to a police report written by Lt. Mark Paquin, who said Wallace said “if he had known tonight was going to end up this way, he would have done things differently.”.
“Mr. Wallace said he knew he was in the wrong, and he shouldn’t have had the gun, he also told me that he was a criminal justice major in college,” Lt. Mark Paquin wrote in his report.
Normally Wallace would be facing discipline from the NBA league office on top of his legal issues, but due to the lockout the league cannot talk about Wallace and has no CBA language on which to suspend him.
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 42
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 88
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 60
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59