Sep 30, 2011, 11:04 AM EST
Details have emerged from the arrest of Pistons center Ben Wallace for drunk driving and carrying a concealed weapon.
According to a police report obtained by the Detroit News, Wallace said the gun in the car was registered to his wife and he had forgotten it was in the car. Also, police described him a cooperative and that he admitted he had been in the wrong.
Wallace will face charges for his arrest, and he has drawn the same judge that sentenced Jalen Rose to 20 days in jail for his first DUI offense.
The handgun had been found in a backpack in the back seat of the car, something the police looked through after seeing several rounds of ammunition on the center console in the car, according to the police report.
In an interview room, Wallace told police the handgun belonged to his wife, was registered only to her, and he had placed it in the backpack for protection before driving from Virginia back to Michigan the day before.
He said he had “completely forgot the gun was in his backpack and when he got back to Michigan went out with his buddy and had some drinks …,” according to a police report written by Lt. Mark Paquin, who said Wallace said “if he had known tonight was going to end up this way, he would have done things differently.”.
“Mr. Wallace said he knew he was in the wrong, and he shouldn’t have had the gun, he also told me that he was a criminal justice major in college,” Lt. Mark Paquin wrote in his report.
Normally Wallace would be facing discipline from the NBA league office on top of his legal issues, but due to the lockout the league cannot talk about Wallace and has no CBA language on which to suspend him.
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 0
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 7
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 7
- The Extra Pass: The shot that won’t fade away, and Thursday’s recaps 2
- Thursday night NBA Grades: Mike Woodson is allowed to exhale 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)