Sep 30, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
Details have emerged from the arrest of Pistons center Ben Wallace for drunk driving and carrying a concealed weapon.
According to a police report obtained by the Detroit News, Wallace said the gun in the car was registered to his wife and he had forgotten it was in the car. Also, police described him a cooperative and that he admitted he had been in the wrong.
Wallace will face charges for his arrest, and he has drawn the same judge that sentenced Jalen Rose to 20 days in jail for his first DUI offense.
The handgun had been found in a backpack in the back seat of the car, something the police looked through after seeing several rounds of ammunition on the center console in the car, according to the police report.
In an interview room, Wallace told police the handgun belonged to his wife, was registered only to her, and he had placed it in the backpack for protection before driving from Virginia back to Michigan the day before.
He said he had “completely forgot the gun was in his backpack and when he got back to Michigan went out with his buddy and had some drinks …,” according to a police report written by Lt. Mark Paquin, who said Wallace said “if he had known tonight was going to end up this way, he would have done things differently.”.
“Mr. Wallace said he knew he was in the wrong, and he shouldn’t have had the gun, he also told me that he was a criminal justice major in college,” Lt. Mark Paquin wrote in his report.
Normally Wallace would be facing discipline from the NBA league office on top of his legal issues, but due to the lockout the league cannot talk about Wallace and has no CBA language on which to suspend him.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 7
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38