Sep 30, 2011, 11:04 AM EDT
Details have emerged from the arrest of Pistons center Ben Wallace for drunk driving and carrying a concealed weapon.
According to a police report obtained by the Detroit News, Wallace said the gun in the car was registered to his wife and he had forgotten it was in the car. Also, police described him a cooperative and that he admitted he had been in the wrong.
Wallace will face charges for his arrest, and he has drawn the same judge that sentenced Jalen Rose to 20 days in jail for his first DUI offense.
The handgun had been found in a backpack in the back seat of the car, something the police looked through after seeing several rounds of ammunition on the center console in the car, according to the police report.
In an interview room, Wallace told police the handgun belonged to his wife, was registered only to her, and he had placed it in the backpack for protection before driving from Virginia back to Michigan the day before.
He said he had “completely forgot the gun was in his backpack and when he got back to Michigan went out with his buddy and had some drinks …,” according to a police report written by Lt. Mark Paquin, who said Wallace said “if he had known tonight was going to end up this way, he would have done things differently.”.
“Mr. Wallace said he knew he was in the wrong, and he shouldn’t have had the gun, he also told me that he was a criminal justice major in college,” Lt. Mark Paquin wrote in his report.
Normally Wallace would be facing discipline from the NBA league office on top of his legal issues, but due to the lockout the league cannot talk about Wallace and has no CBA language on which to suspend him.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 2
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 13
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 22
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29