Sep 29, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
This horse is dead, but we’re going to give it one more swift kick.
Turns out, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal don’t really like each other. Who knew? And if you think all the bitterness from those days is gone, you weren’t listening to Italian radio yesterday.
Neither were we, but someone with Sportando was. Kobe is out on a Nike-fueled tour of Italy right now and in a radio interview he was asked what was his issue with Shaq:
“I like players who work out. I used to do that 6-7 hours per day. I cannot stand players who practice for 30 minutes. I need to say something to them”.
We knew that. Kobe has always had the crazy work ethic and Shaq balanced his work and play, leaning more toward the later. Phil Jackson stepped into that and made it hard on Kobe because he had to — that was Shaq’s locker room, Shaq’s team. Side with Kobe and Phil loses Shaq, side with Shaq and Kobe is more motivated. Phil is smart all the way around the block. He knew what to do.
Kobe, however, was not all that forgiving of Shaq. Stunning.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 10
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 19
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14