Sep 29, 2011, 2:23 PM EDT
This horse is dead, but we’re going to give it one more swift kick.
Turns out, Kobe Bryant and Shaquille O’Neal don’t really like each other. Who knew? And if you think all the bitterness from those days is gone, you weren’t listening to Italian radio yesterday.
Neither were we, but someone with Sportando was. Kobe is out on a Nike-fueled tour of Italy right now and in a radio interview he was asked what was his issue with Shaq:
“I like players who work out. I used to do that 6-7 hours per day. I cannot stand players who practice for 30 minutes. I need to say something to them”.
We knew that. Kobe has always had the crazy work ethic and Shaq balanced his work and play, leaning more toward the later. Phil Jackson stepped into that and made it hard on Kobe because he had to — that was Shaq’s locker room, Shaq’s team. Side with Kobe and Phil loses Shaq, side with Shaq and Kobe is more motivated. Phil is smart all the way around the block. He knew what to do.
Kobe, however, was not all that forgiving of Shaq. Stunning.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11