Sep 29, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
Pistons big man Ben Wallace, who anchored the defense that won the franchise a title in 2004, was arrested over the weekend.
Wallace, 37, of Bloomfield Hills was pulled over about 3 a.m. Saturday behind the wheel of a 2007 Cadillac Escalade, township police said. Wallace was arrested without incident for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
A search of the vehicle found an unloaded pistol in a backpack in the passenger compartment, police said. At the police station, Wallace was given a breathalyzer test, which showed he had a blood alcohol count above the .08 level considered intoxicated. The reading was not released by police.
Wallace did not have a permit for that pistol. He was arraigned on Monday for driving while intoxicated and having a concealed weapon, but is free on a $5,000 bond.
Big Ben has one more season at $2.2 million left on his contract with Detroit.
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 5
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 47
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 29
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3