Sep 29, 2011, 10:43 AM EDT
Pistons big man Ben Wallace, who anchored the defense that won the franchise a title in 2004, was arrested over the weekend.
Wallace, 37, of Bloomfield Hills was pulled over about 3 a.m. Saturday behind the wheel of a 2007 Cadillac Escalade, township police said. Wallace was arrested without incident for operating a motor vehicle while intoxicated.
A search of the vehicle found an unloaded pistol in a backpack in the passenger compartment, police said. At the police station, Wallace was given a breathalyzer test, which showed he had a blood alcohol count above the .08 level considered intoxicated. The reading was not released by police.
Wallace did not have a permit for that pistol. He was arraigned on Monday for driving while intoxicated and having a concealed weapon, but is free on a $5,000 bond.
Big Ben has one more season at $2.2 million left on his contract with Detroit.
- Bulls have no answer for Nene as Wizards take Game 1 0
- Charlotte is scrappy but Heat have too much in comfortable 99-88 win 9
- Spurs use huge 4th quarter run to come back and win Game 1 vs. Mavericks 8
- NBA issues statement saying Chris Paul was fouled before late-game turnover against Warriors 17
- Jim Buss says he’ll step down if Lakers aren’t contenders again in ‘three to four years’ 41