Sep 29, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
Andre Iguodala has a lot of money to take care of — he’s already made $44 million in his career and he has about that much more coming to him the next three years (which is why the 76ers shop him around).
Most players treat that much money like they’re in an episode of “Entourage” (the early years, before it sucked), so props to Iggy for learning how to take care of and grow that cash.
He’s interning his summer at Bank of America Merrill Lynch, according to Marc Spears with Yahoo.
Iguodala shadowed a venture capitalist and visited the New York Stock Exchange as part of a week-long internship with Bank of America Merrill Lynch arranged by his financial planner. If the lockout drags on, he’s also considering taking a separate internship with a hedge fund or an apparel company.
“I always had an interest in what was going on in the market,” Iguodala said. “I have a couple of teammates, Jason Kapono and Spencer Hawes, who are into it. I always read USA Today and the Wall Street Journal, and I have an E-Trade account, so the interest in finance has always been there.
Iguodala may want to take everything he’s learning with a grain of salt — Merrill Lynch was one of the firms that helped crash our economy then needed a federal bailout. Still, there are a whole lot worse ways he could have spent his offseason.
Go read the entire Yahoo story and you can also read Iggy spouting the union company line on the lockout.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37