Sep 28, 2011, 4:12 PM EDT
Eventually, there is going to be some tension in Minnesota. There is GM David Kahn in the last year of his deal. New coach Rick Adelman brings with him real gravitas and will have say on player/personnel issues. You can see the friction coming.
But at Adelman’s introductory press conference on Wednesday it was “smiles everyone, smiles, smiles.”
Adelman said what you would expect, how he looks forward to building something with the young core of players assembled in Minnesota, led by All-Star Kevin Love. Because of the lockout Adelman and Kahn could not talk about specific players. But Adelman talked about style and this being a team that will be up-tempo.
“We want to push the ball, we want to be on the attack all the time,” he said.
Kahn said the pace of the coach hiring process was deliberately slow, and part of the reason for that was for Adelman to make up his mind and maybe think about coming to the T-Wolves. Adelman admitted he talked to Lakers but they were moving quickly and he wasn’t sure what he wanted to do. He said talks never got serious.
Meanwhile, Kahn was patient.
“I thought it would be a mistake for us to hurry up and make a decision until we saw the full array of candidates,” Kahn said.
You can bet everyone in attendance wanted to ask Adelman how he planned to bring Spanish point guard Ricky Rubio along, but he couldn’t discuss specific players. So Adelman instead talked about bringing young European players in general along.
“The players there are very good players, they are renowned over there, they have agents and family, but when you come to the NBA it’s a different game and they have to learn the game….” Adelman said. “You have to figure out what they can do in the NBA game, play to their strengths, be there for them but and let them know it is a process.”
He was already trying to tamper expectations, saying it usually takes a year or two for European players to adjust to the NBA. Which fits in with the young, learning to win in the NBA team Minnesota has. It’s just that taking your time and learning to win can create friction in the front office. Something to watch if and when we ever get a season.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Wizard’s defense peaking at right time 0
- Report: Chandler Parsons to have knee surgery, could require microfracture surgery 3
- Cavaliers’ J.R. Smith gets two-game suspension for shot to Jae Crowder’s head 27
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Draymond Green helped hold Anthony Davis in relative check 4
- Cavaliers’ Kevin Love out for entire conference semifinals (likely vs. Bulls) 9
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: LeBron got his shots despite good Celtics defense 3
- PBT Extra: For how long should J.R. Smith be suspended? 34
- Report: If Kevin Love leaves Cavaliers, Lakers are team to beat in free agency 32