Sep 28, 2011, 11:26 AM EDT
Kobe Bryant knows marketing.
He knows that if you’re in Italy promoting Nike and your brand, and there are rumors swirling about offers for you to play in Italy during the lockout, it’s bad marketing to say, “No, no way I’m playing here.” You give people some hope if you want to sell more shoes.
With that context, we bring you Kobe’s quotes to the Associated Press at one of his stops in a Nike-fueled tour through Italy.
Kobe Bryant says it’s “very possible” he’ll play in Italy during the NBA lockout, adding that the country is like home to him since he spent part of his childhood there….
Bryant says, “It would be a dream for me. There’s an opportunity that we’ve been discussing over the last few days. It’s very possible and that’s good news for me.”
I’ll believe it the day he walks on the court wearing a Virtus Bologna black and white uniform. Until then it’s all just talk and marketing.
Kobe’s biggest dream is ring number six, the same number Jordan has. Kobe would risk injury and put more miles on tired knees to play overseas for a sliver of his NBA salary. He’s not going to do it. Not now anyway, if the lockout drags on and things look bleak mid-November, then things change. If a full NBA season is going to be lost all bets are off. And if he does play anywhere overseas, Italy is the best bet.
But I will not believe it until I see it. Until then I’m pretty sick of the game.
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 0
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 3
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 1
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 10
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 35
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars