Sep 28, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
Kevin Love has done more than that this summer, he also has rested his body, but everything he has done seems to have worked — the Timberwolves power forward said he has dropped more than 20 pounds.
That’s what he himself wrote at Grantland, where Love will blog during the lockout. He has started with a “what I did on my summer vacation” post…
Professionally, the time provided me with an opportunity to rest and methodically work my way up to a healthy state. I worked slowly and built up my stamina and strength through yoga, strength training, and cardiovascular conditioning … I feel better than I ever have. For the first time since my freshman year in high school (2003-04) I weigh under 240 pounds, and my strength has consistently gone up. First, I took my time building back up, and treated the latter part of April and the whole month of May as a recovery period from the 10 straight months of basketball. Not that I am the only one who plays this much throughout the course of a year; I know that many players do this, and some even take their teams deep into the postseason year in and year out. This year, for example, some of the players from the World Championships moved deep into the playoffs and their teams saw immense success. While I pay those individuals much respect, knowing the NBA could head into a long and drawn out offseason gave me peace of mind that I could rest my body and mind to prepare for the next step in my career.
Women everywhere now hate Love, because none of them can get back to their high school weight.
Seriously, the rest matters. And with Love in consideration for the USA Olympic team next summer he may not get a lot of rest then, so wise to take the time now.
If Love’s conditioning is up it’s a good thing, because the Timberwolves will run this year. They have to with Ricky Rubio in the fold, but this is a team that with Michael Beasley and Derrick Williams has some finishers in transition. Love needs to be more than rebounds and outlet passes to make it all work. Love moves pretty well but is not exactly fleet of foot, dropping a few pounds will help.
Minnesota is going to be an interesting team to watch this season.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 38
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18