Sep 28, 2011, 10:58 AM EDT
Kevin Durant has been everywhere this summer — if there was a pro-am or charity game this summer, he was there. It was like he was cloned. There were reports of him popping up all over the country, most recently at a Texas Longhorns football game.
Now he’s filming a new movie, “Switch.” Which tied him down to one place for a few days, and that’s where Darnell Mayberry of the Oklahoman caught up with him to ask a few questions (you should read the entire Q&A).
In watching some of those pro-am games, what I noticed was KD’s improved handles on the perimeter. Something that can help him create shots. But he says that’s not the part of his game that has made the biggest jump this summer.
My post game. I think it’s grown leaps and bounds with me being comfortable down there and having a different array of moves to work with. But it’s going to be tougher during the season to do that because of a lot of double teams. A lot of (defenders) are going to be watching if I sit in the post. If I catch it they’re going to bring a double team. So I’ve been working on passing out of it and making the right decisions as well.
A lot of people in OKC smiled at that answer. We’ll see. You can’t tell how a guy’s post game improves in pro-am and charity games because nobody really plays in the post for those contests. So we’ll wait until the season. But I like that he is working on passing out of it because the doubles will come fast and hard.
The other thing that raised eyebrows this summer was when pictures of Durant with “business tattoos” on his chest and back worked their way around the web. (Business tattoos meaning they were covered by an NBA uniform, so a lot of people didn’t realize he had ink.) Really it shouldn’t be a big deal, but it caused quite a stir. One Durant didn’t get.
It was just like so what? I was wondering why people were so worried about me getting a tattoo. It doesn’t change the type of person I am. It doesn’t change how I look at things. It’s just ink. And I like ink. It’s something I always wanted to get. I was a little nervous of getting them because of needles. But I was going to get them sooner or later.
Now we wait to see Durant back on an NBA court. The movie… not so much.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 8
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 18
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6