Sep 28, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
Chemistry is hard. It’s hard for high school students — if you just said “no it wasn’t” I’m not sure we can be friends — and it’s hard for sports teams.
It was hard for the Miami Heat.
Dwyane Wade was in a talkative mood on with Jorge Sedano of 790 The Ticket in Miami (transcribed at ESPN’s Heat Index). Especially when the topic was what needs to happen for the team to take the next step and get a ring.
Individually, we have to come back as better players. One thing that Dallas beat us at – they had more chemistry than us. They had a game plan and we were still figuring ours out in our first year together.
Wade admitted it took time for the Heat to mesh.
You got players like me and LeBron (James) who are similar in a lot of ways which is a little harder and a little different to make that work. And then Chris (Bosh) who has a personality that’s a little more laid back. We need him to be a little more aggressive for us to try to figure it out and try to understand it. So there’s just a lot going on but I think we eventually figured it out. …
Yeah, it was a little more difficult than we anticipated. Putting it all together, making it all work. Making sure that when we have a team, everyone has to be involved and everyone has to be happy.
What also helped the Heat was getting Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller — even with his thumbs — back for the playoffs, giving them better role players. The Heat’s big three need to figure out their chemistry, but how to blend with the new role players brought in will be key to a title run.
Well, first we need to have a season, then we can talk Heat adjustments.
For the record, Wade also said he would not be playing overseas this season.
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 12
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 21
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14