Sep 28, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
Chemistry is hard. It’s hard for high school students — if you just said “no it wasn’t” I’m not sure we can be friends — and it’s hard for sports teams.
It was hard for the Miami Heat.
Dwyane Wade was in a talkative mood on with Jorge Sedano of 790 The Ticket in Miami (transcribed at ESPN’s Heat Index). Especially when the topic was what needs to happen for the team to take the next step and get a ring.
Individually, we have to come back as better players. One thing that Dallas beat us at – they had more chemistry than us. They had a game plan and we were still figuring ours out in our first year together.
Wade admitted it took time for the Heat to mesh.
You got players like me and LeBron (James) who are similar in a lot of ways which is a little harder and a little different to make that work. And then Chris (Bosh) who has a personality that’s a little more laid back. We need him to be a little more aggressive for us to try to figure it out and try to understand it. So there’s just a lot going on but I think we eventually figured it out. …
Yeah, it was a little more difficult than we anticipated. Putting it all together, making it all work. Making sure that when we have a team, everyone has to be involved and everyone has to be happy.
What also helped the Heat was getting Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller — even with his thumbs — back for the playoffs, giving them better role players. The Heat’s big three need to figure out their chemistry, but how to blend with the new role players brought in will be key to a title run.
Well, first we need to have a season, then we can talk Heat adjustments.
For the record, Wade also said he would not be playing overseas this season.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 7
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9