Sep 28, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
Chemistry is hard. It’s hard for high school students — if you just said “no it wasn’t” I’m not sure we can be friends — and it’s hard for sports teams.
It was hard for the Miami Heat.
Dwyane Wade was in a talkative mood on with Jorge Sedano of 790 The Ticket in Miami (transcribed at ESPN’s Heat Index). Especially when the topic was what needs to happen for the team to take the next step and get a ring.
Individually, we have to come back as better players. One thing that Dallas beat us at – they had more chemistry than us. They had a game plan and we were still figuring ours out in our first year together.
Wade admitted it took time for the Heat to mesh.
You got players like me and LeBron (James) who are similar in a lot of ways which is a little harder and a little different to make that work. And then Chris (Bosh) who has a personality that’s a little more laid back. We need him to be a little more aggressive for us to try to figure it out and try to understand it. So there’s just a lot going on but I think we eventually figured it out. …
Yeah, it was a little more difficult than we anticipated. Putting it all together, making it all work. Making sure that when we have a team, everyone has to be involved and everyone has to be happy.
What also helped the Heat was getting Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller — even with his thumbs — back for the playoffs, giving them better role players. The Heat’s big three need to figure out their chemistry, but how to blend with the new role players brought in will be key to a title run.
Well, first we need to have a season, then we can talk Heat adjustments.
For the record, Wade also said he would not be playing overseas this season.
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 0
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 16
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1
- PBT Extra: Injuries make Grizzlies, Trail Blazers series hard to predict 3
- PBT Extra: Will Spurs depth, versatility prove too much for Clippers? 13
- PBT Extra: Anthony Davis, Pelicans made playoffs. Will they get a fifth game vs. Warriors? 6
- Rumor: LaMarcus Aldridge more likely to leave Trail Blazers in free agency than people realize 24
- PBT First-Round Playoff Previews: Chicago Bulls vs. Milwaukee Bucks 8