Sep 28, 2011, 12:27 PM EDT
Chemistry is hard. It’s hard for high school students — if you just said “no it wasn’t” I’m not sure we can be friends — and it’s hard for sports teams.
It was hard for the Miami Heat.
Dwyane Wade was in a talkative mood on with Jorge Sedano of 790 The Ticket in Miami (transcribed at ESPN’s Heat Index). Especially when the topic was what needs to happen for the team to take the next step and get a ring.
Individually, we have to come back as better players. One thing that Dallas beat us at – they had more chemistry than us. They had a game plan and we were still figuring ours out in our first year together.
Wade admitted it took time for the Heat to mesh.
You got players like me and LeBron (James) who are similar in a lot of ways which is a little harder and a little different to make that work. And then Chris (Bosh) who has a personality that’s a little more laid back. We need him to be a little more aggressive for us to try to figure it out and try to understand it. So there’s just a lot going on but I think we eventually figured it out. …
Yeah, it was a little more difficult than we anticipated. Putting it all together, making it all work. Making sure that when we have a team, everyone has to be involved and everyone has to be happy.
What also helped the Heat was getting Udonis Haslem and Mike Miller — even with his thumbs — back for the playoffs, giving them better role players. The Heat’s big three need to figure out their chemistry, but how to blend with the new role players brought in will be key to a title run.
Well, first we need to have a season, then we can talk Heat adjustments.
For the record, Wade also said he would not be playing overseas this season.
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars