Sep 27, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT
Former NBA player Javaris Crittenton has been released from jail on a $230,000 bond but must wear and ankle bracelet so that he will not try to skip out before a pending murder trial.
That is the result of a hearing on Tuesday, one of the first steps in putting Crittenton on trial for the drive-by shooting and murder of an Atlanta mother of four, reports the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Police allege that Crittenton was trying to shoot a man in the group, who Crittenton thought had stolen jewelry from him, and accidentally hit the woman, Julian Jones. Crittenton is being charged with murder, aggravated assault and gun possession.
Crittenton says he is innocent of the charges.
At a hearing in Fulton County Superior Court, police said witnesses picked Crittenton out of a photo lineup. Atlanta Police homicide detective James Thorpe testified that a man with Jones at the time of the shooting said he had a “good, clear look” at the gunman.
Judge Karen Woodson rejected a request by Crittenton’s attorney, Brian Steel, that all charges be dismissed because, he said, police had no physical evidence.
Crittenton is not likely to get a lot of leeway from the court on bail and other procedural issues, both because this is a murder trial and because he has a previous weapons charge against him. Last year he pled guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge in the District of Columbia, as part of the Gilbert Arenas locker room gun incident. That had Crittenton suspended for the rest of that season, he did not catch on with an NBA team last season.
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony in Game 6 (VIDEO) 5
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 9
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 6
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Mike Krzyzewski might coach USA Basketball in 2016 Olympics 3
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay