Sep 27, 2011, 3:28 PM EDT
Former NBA player Javaris Crittenton has been released from jail on a $230,000 bond but must wear and ankle bracelet so that he will not try to skip out before a pending murder trial.
That is the result of a hearing on Tuesday, one of the first steps in putting Crittenton on trial for the drive-by shooting and murder of an Atlanta mother of four, reports the Atlanta Journal Constitution. Police allege that Crittenton was trying to shoot a man in the group, who Crittenton thought had stolen jewelry from him, and accidentally hit the woman, Julian Jones. Crittenton is being charged with murder, aggravated assault and gun possession.
Crittenton says he is innocent of the charges.
At a hearing in Fulton County Superior Court, police said witnesses picked Crittenton out of a photo lineup. Atlanta Police homicide detective James Thorpe testified that a man with Jones at the time of the shooting said he had a “good, clear look” at the gunman.
Judge Karen Woodson rejected a request by Crittenton’s attorney, Brian Steel, that all charges be dismissed because, he said, police had no physical evidence.
Crittenton is not likely to get a lot of leeway from the court on bail and other procedural issues, both because this is a murder trial and because he has a previous weapons charge against him. Last year he pled guilty to a misdemeanor gun charge in the District of Columbia, as part of the Gilbert Arenas locker room gun incident. That had Crittenton suspended for the rest of that season, he did not catch on with an NBA team last season.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21