Sep 27, 2011, 11:57 AM EDT
Of course, it’s all for charity, an Oct 8 game at Florida International University. Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated tweeted about it Monday night and ESPN’s Chris Broussard had the details Tuesday morning.
The game will be held on Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. ET at Florida International University, where Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas is coach. All proceeds will go toward a charity supporting the educational community of South Florida.
This is the most star-studded of the summer (now fall) pro-am games thanks to Nike. The teams break out as Team Brand Jordan — led by Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul — versus Team Nike — James and Kevin Durant. Also expected to play are Russell Westbrook, Amar’e Stoudemire, Rajon Rondo, Rudy Gay, John Wall, Jamal Crawford, Eric Bledsoe, Caron Butler, Lou Williams and maybe top pick Kyrie Irving. Eddy Curry is also on the list, but I wouldn’t bet the house on him showing.
You can bet the game will sell out, you can also bet it will be entertaining. And like all the other pro-am games this summer, you can bet there will be no defense.
For a number of these players this will mean a cross-country flight as the next day the Goodman vs. Drew League rematch is scheduled in Los Angeles.
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 4
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 4
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 15
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7