Sep 27, 2011, 11:57 AM EDT
Of course, it’s all for charity, an Oct 8 game at Florida International University. Sam Amick of Sports Illustrated tweeted about it Monday night and ESPN’s Chris Broussard had the details Tuesday morning.
The game will be held on Oct. 8 at 7 p.m. ET at Florida International University, where Hall of Famer Isiah Thomas is coach. All proceeds will go toward a charity supporting the educational community of South Florida.
This is the most star-studded of the summer (now fall) pro-am games thanks to Nike. The teams break out as Team Brand Jordan — led by Wade, Carmelo Anthony and Chris Paul — versus Team Nike — James and Kevin Durant. Also expected to play are Russell Westbrook, Amar’e Stoudemire, Rajon Rondo, Rudy Gay, John Wall, Jamal Crawford, Eric Bledsoe, Caron Butler, Lou Williams and maybe top pick Kyrie Irving. Eddy Curry is also on the list, but I wouldn’t bet the house on him showing.
You can bet the game will sell out, you can also bet it will be entertaining. And like all the other pro-am games this summer, you can bet there will be no defense.
For a number of these players this will mean a cross-country flight as the next day the Goodman vs. Drew League rematch is scheduled in Los Angeles.
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 16
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 1
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 5
- Kevin Durant scores 42, Thunder win a chippy one over Rockets 8
- Report: Lakers to officially declare Kobe Bryant out for the season 22