Sep 27, 2011, 5:13 PM EDT
Freshly minted basketball Hall of Fame inductee Arvydas Sabonis suffered a heart attack but is now in stable condition, according to multiple reports out of his native Lithuania.
Trail Blazers blog Blazers Edge was on top of the reports.
Lithuanian news site Delfi.lt reports that former Portland Trail Blazers center Arvydas Sabonis suffered a heart attack while playing basketball Tuesday night. Spanish website Cadenaser.com reported soon after that Sabonis did suffer a heart attack but quoted Arturo Ortega, a representative for Sabonis, who said the center was “out of danger.”
Sabonis was inducted into the Hall of Fame last August, which was followed by a warm welcome for the legend in Portland. He lives in his native Lithuania where he helps run a professional basketball team, the one Ty Lawson will play for during the lockout.
We’re happy to hear he is well and wish him a speedy recovery.
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 0
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 33
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 14
- 2014 PBT Awards: Most Improved Player 21
- Tuesday NBA grades: Chris Paul looks playoff ready 1