Sep 27, 2011, 8:11 AM EDT
Just a couple weeks ago, Rick Welts walked away from his gig as the CEO of the Phoenix Suns, saying he wasn’t leaving for another job, he was leaving to “get my personal and professional lives better aligned.”
Turns out he found a job pretty quickly after all.
Welts has been hired as the new CEO of the Golden State Warriors, as reported to CSNBayArea.com.
“Peter Guber and I have made it quite clear since we assumed control of this team in November that we’re looking to build a world class organization from top to bottom,” said Warriors owner Joe Lacob (in a released statement).
“We feel that we’ve taken a quantum leap in that direction today with the addition of Rick Welts as our President and COO. Rick is simply one of the most highly-regarded executives in the NBA and his accomplishments at both the team and league levels are extremely impressive.”
Don’t think that the Suns are mad about this — Suns owner Robert Sarver was the guy who called the Warriors owners and told them to hire Welts.
You likely remember Welts as the executive who announced he was gay earlier this year. He is highly respected around the league and certainly got a few calls after he stepped down from the Suns. Hopefully this is a good fit for him.
He will be formally introduced on Tuesday.
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 1
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 35
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 5
- Steve Kerr said Danny Ferry made mistake but is a “man of high character” 38