Sep 27, 2011, 8:11 AM EST
Just a couple weeks ago, Rick Welts walked away from his gig as the CEO of the Phoenix Suns, saying he wasn’t leaving for another job, he was leaving to “get my personal and professional lives better aligned.”
Turns out he found a job pretty quickly after all.
Welts has been hired as the new CEO of the Golden State Warriors, as reported to CSNBayArea.com.
“Peter Guber and I have made it quite clear since we assumed control of this team in November that we’re looking to build a world class organization from top to bottom,” said Warriors owner Joe Lacob (in a released statement).
“We feel that we’ve taken a quantum leap in that direction today with the addition of Rick Welts as our President and COO. Rick is simply one of the most highly-regarded executives in the NBA and his accomplishments at both the team and league levels are extremely impressive.”
Don’t think that the Suns are mad about this — Suns owner Robert Sarver was the guy who called the Warriors owners and told them to hire Welts.
You likely remember Welts as the executive who announced he was gay earlier this year. He is highly respected around the league and certainly got a few calls after he stepped down from the Suns. Hopefully this is a good fit for him.
He will be formally introduced on Tuesday.
- Home-court advantage means less than ever in NBA. Why? 0
- Nikola Mirotic’s unique style rewarding Bulls for waiting on him 9
- What We Learned in NBA Tuesday Night: Bulls fans should want more of this attacking Derrick Rose 9
- Derrick Rose hits step-back jumper in overtime, lifts Bulls past Warriors (VIDEO) 5
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 11
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 35
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 18