Sep 27, 2011, 8:11 AM EDT
Just a couple weeks ago, Rick Welts walked away from his gig as the CEO of the Phoenix Suns, saying he wasn’t leaving for another job, he was leaving to “get my personal and professional lives better aligned.”
Turns out he found a job pretty quickly after all.
Welts has been hired as the new CEO of the Golden State Warriors, as reported to CSNBayArea.com.
“Peter Guber and I have made it quite clear since we assumed control of this team in November that we’re looking to build a world class organization from top to bottom,” said Warriors owner Joe Lacob (in a released statement).
“We feel that we’ve taken a quantum leap in that direction today with the addition of Rick Welts as our President and COO. Rick is simply one of the most highly-regarded executives in the NBA and his accomplishments at both the team and league levels are extremely impressive.”
Don’t think that the Suns are mad about this — Suns owner Robert Sarver was the guy who called the Warriors owners and told them to hire Welts.
You likely remember Welts as the executive who announced he was gay earlier this year. He is highly respected around the league and certainly got a few calls after he stepped down from the Suns. Hopefully this is a good fit for him.
He will be formally introduced on Tuesday.
- Thursday NBA grades: Don’t make Mike Dunleavy angry 0
- Rockets don’t bring the energy, so Bulls bring the pain in securing a 24-point blowout victory 5
- Interesting stat: Teams score better in crunch time when they don’t call timeout 12
- Blake Griffin with as powerful a putback dunk as you’ll see (VIDEO) 12
- PBT Podcast: What is with the slumps of Miami, Indiana? Plus of course Phil Jackson talk. 5