Sep 26, 2011, 1:38 PM EDT
Twitter is a fun place to hang on NBA game nights — you can get game updates, some game analysis, some clever jokes, some mocking of bad shots, some terrible jokes and a nice enhancement to your NBA experience. And since you have your smartphone out while watching the game anyway — admit it, you do that — you might as well join.
Now, the Suns want to bring that fun to the television audience at home. Not sure you can bring the twitter experience vicariously through television, this has “fail whale” written all over it. But the Suns are going to try.
The Suns will have a “sideline social media reporter” at games, according to the Sports Business Journal. What does that mean?
“We will still have our sideline reporter, but the [social media sideline] reporter is a new addition,” said Jeramie McPeek, vice president of digital for the Suns. “We want to try something different and add a new element and a social media personality into the broadcasts. Our fans [using social media] are most active and engaged about the Suns during games.”
The team’s plan for the reporter will include providing updates on where Suns topics are trending on social media during games, reading tweets and adding other social media game broadcast enhancements, McPeek said.
What happens when the trending topic becomes #firegentry or #Sarversucks?
The interesting part will be watching this keep up with technology in the televisions themselves — how long before the right part of your screen can be a running twitter feed if you want? One where you could see just posts hashtaged #Suns or from certain people you follow for hoops while watching games?
It’s part of the integration of technology into our viewing experience, good to see the Suns out in front of this.
That said, still more fun to be at the game.
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 0
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 6
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 5
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 5
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 2
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm