Sep 24, 2011, 10:59 AM EDT
To most of America, Kris Humphries is that guy who married Kim Kardashian. Not that Laker that married the other sister, but if pressed people might remember Humphries plays basketball for a living.
But Humphries was a big deal player coming out of high school in Minnesota, a guy that was pretty clearly going to be a one-and-done and chased down a number of big colleges.
Including Kansas and coach Roy Williams. Which brings us to an excerpt from a new book “Beyond The Phog” about Jayhawk hoops, quoting Kansas shooting guard Keith Langford about Humphries. (Via I am a GM and Larry Brown Sports.)
Kris Humphries came on a visit and tried to commit. He really wanted to come here. But no one on the team liked Kris Humphries. He was arrogant. He told everyone he was going to come in and be the leading scorer as a freshman and that we’d all have to take a backseat to him. We were trying to be respectful and not say anything. But he was an absolute jerk. It was tough, because Roy was really excited about him. Kris Humphries was a big deal. He was a one-and-done or a two-and-done kind of player. Roy wanted him to commit on his visit. But we told him, “Coach, you can’t bring this guy in. You can’t do it.” You’d figure Roy would say something like, “Let’s work on him,” or “Let’s give him another chance.” Instead he told Humphries, “Sorry, but you can’t come.” Bill Self did the same thing years later with Terrence Williams.
Humphries went to Minnesota, averaged 21 and 10 on a losing team, and was a one-and-done.
You can watch Humphries on what is sure to be a slate of upcoming reality shows and decide for yourself if Humphries is an absolute jerk still or not.
- Manu Ginobili tweets he’ll play next season 5
- Who is left: 15 best free agents still on the board 12
- Report: Detroit Pistons sign restricted free agent Reggie Jackson for five-years, $80 million 37
- Report: Lakers near deal to sign Brandon Bass, may trade Nick Young 35
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 19
- Report: Lakers, Pacers reach deal to trade Roy Hibbert to LA 58
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 85
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 43