Sep 23, 2011, 5:07 PM EDT
Some of the big names of the 2011 NBA Draft have had a busy summer. Josh Selby was turning a few heads at the Impact Basketball Series in Vegas the last couple weeks. Jimmer Fredette was throwing his own rookie game in Utah. Derrick Williams has been working out with Kobe Bryant. Jonas Valanciunas has looked good playing for Lithuania at EuroBasket.
No. 1 pick Kyrie Irving has been nowhere to be seen.
And that’s just what the Cavaliers wanted for the Duke star who raced back from a foot injury to play in the NCAA Tournament, reports Brian Windhorst at ESPN.
During the single week that the Cavs were allowed to have contact with Irving between the time they drafted him and July 1, when the lockout’s iron veil dropped and severed any communication between players and teams, the team’s medical personnel and management met with Irving. They couldn’t really set too many terms — Irving hasn’t even signed a contract or accepted a check yet — but they strongly suggested that Irving shut it down for the summer to let his foot continue to heal….
“It was the hardest two months of my life,” Irving said. “It was hard to sit on the sidelines. Especially with the amount of exposure everyone was getting in playing in those pro-ams and being everywhere. That was different for me, not being able to work out and get better. Summertime is when my game has gone to a different level every year and that’s happened throughout my entire life. It was a learning experience.”
That foot injury — essentially turf toe — kept Irving out most of his freshman season and he only way it really heals is rest. So that’s what the doctors ordered.
But he’s good now and ready to go… if only the league were ready to go. But he might start to pop up at some events now.
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 3
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 25
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50