Sep 23, 2011, 1:16 PM EDT
I really missed NBA summer league in Las Vegas. I didn’t miss the oppressive heat of Vegas in July. I didn’t miss what is passed off as food at the Thomas and Mack.
But I missed finding players you didn’t know much about before and falling in love with their games. Finding good guys worth rooting for to do well.
Guys like Jeremy Evans of the Utah Jazz. He was at the Impact Competitive Training Series in Las Vegas the last couple weeks, which had the feel of Summer League in a lot of ways (including the lack of defense). Evans athleticism stood out — the man is a human pogo stick. He can leap out of the building and I don’t know many guys who can get a second jump off as quick or as high as him.
He was putting on a show (see the video below). The best part is, he is just a humble guy from Kentucky playing with a huge smile on his face the whole time.
“That’s just me, I’m always smiling,” Evans said. “I think it just comes from my game.”
He didn’t see a lot of time in Utah last season, but it’s a difficult fit. He is a natural athlete who ideally should be showcased in transition, but the Jazz are a very system oriented team. Plus, he should be a natural four and the Jazz have Paul Millsap eating up most of the minutes at that spot.
But man, is Evans fun to watch. What does he need to do to get more run in Slat Lake?
“Probably just my confidence, shooting the ball,” Evans said. “I can shoot the ball and I just don’t shoot, other guys are out there. I just try to do what I can to help the team.”
Seeing if Evans can break through is just one of the many reasons I want the NBA season to start. On time. Like now. But alas….
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 26
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 32
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4