Sep 23, 2011, 11:18 AM EDT
We all knew it was coming, but it doesn’t make it any easier to report.
Especially when you now consider that regular season games will almost certainly be postponed if not lost.
The NBA announced it has officially and indefinitely postponed the start of NBA training camps (that were to start Oct. 3) and has cancelled 43 preseason games, the ones running from Oct. 9 to 15.
“We have regretfully reached the point on the calendar where we are not able to open training camps on time and need to cancel the first week of preseason games,” NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said in a released statement. “We will make further decisions as warranted.”
Expect word on the preseason games scheduled for the last two weeks of October to come in the next week or so.
The timing of this makes you think that NBA regular season games are in serious jeopardy.
While maybe it could be condensed a little, it will likely take a month for the league to get up and running after the lockout ends (it took a month after the 1998 lockout). There is a free agency period, condensed training camps and a handful of preseason games to be played.
The regular season is to start Nov. 1. Do the math backwards and you realize that the two sides have almost no time left to make a deal and get the season to start on time. The two sides are not scheduled to meet again although it is expected they will again next week. But if the two sides remain this far apart it’s hard to see how they get a deal done in time.
There are ways to get in the full 82 games if the first couple weeks of the regular season are delayed, but already time is running out.
Not that missing games will really impact the negotiations.
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 4
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 16
- FIBA World Cup USA vs. Serbia preview: Serbia no pushover but Americans should grab gold 4
- France beats Lithuania to win World Cup bronze 6
- Carmelo Anthony says nobody would want to play for Hawks 20
- Rudy Gay upset over ‘dirty play’ that caused him to suffer a fractured jaw in Team USA’s win over Lithuania 17
- Serbia holds off furious French comeback, wins to advance to gold medal game vs. USA 4
- Hawks GM Danny Ferry releases statement on his leave of absence, apologizes again 6