Sep 23, 2011, 11:18 AM EDT
We all knew it was coming, but it doesn’t make it any easier to report.
Especially when you now consider that regular season games will almost certainly be postponed if not lost.
The NBA announced it has officially and indefinitely postponed the start of NBA training camps (that were to start Oct. 3) and has cancelled 43 preseason games, the ones running from Oct. 9 to 15.
“We have regretfully reached the point on the calendar where we are not able to open training camps on time and need to cancel the first week of preseason games,” NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said in a released statement. “We will make further decisions as warranted.”
Expect word on the preseason games scheduled for the last two weeks of October to come in the next week or so.
The timing of this makes you think that NBA regular season games are in serious jeopardy.
While maybe it could be condensed a little, it will likely take a month for the league to get up and running after the lockout ends (it took a month after the 1998 lockout). There is a free agency period, condensed training camps and a handful of preseason games to be played.
The regular season is to start Nov. 1. Do the math backwards and you realize that the two sides have almost no time left to make a deal and get the season to start on time. The two sides are not scheduled to meet again although it is expected they will again next week. But if the two sides remain this far apart it’s hard to see how they get a deal done in time.
There are ways to get in the full 82 games if the first couple weeks of the regular season are delayed, but already time is running out.
Not that missing games will really impact the negotiations.
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 2
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 2
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 3
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 7
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 10
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 15