Sep 23, 2011, 1:42 PM EDT
Andrew Bogut is finally feeling like his badly injured arm is fully healed, he is ready to return to the court.
Except the NBA is not returning to the court. So instead Bogut wants to play in his native Australia for a little while or until the lockout ends. However, now its insurance on the remaining three-years, $39 million of his NBA contract that is keeping him sidelined.
Talks have stalled with several Australian teams and FIBA is looking into the issue, according to ninemsn.com.
Considered the favourite to snap up Bogut’s signature, (Gold Coast) Blaze boss Paul Pamenter said talks with the Boomers centre were in a “holding pattern”.
“It is bigger than just Andrew globally,” Pamenter told AAP. “There are 60 or 70 guys on contracts valued up to $100 million now who are trying to get themselves around the world while this lockout drags on. It is a bit of an unknown at the moment. (But) we are quietly confident.”
Some teams have had sponsors step up to cover the cost of insuring NBA players while overseas, but for many teams, the insurance issue is a real challenge.
Still, I’d expect to see Bogut playing down under soon. Because sadly it doesn’t look like he’ll be playing in the NBA soon.
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 27
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 14
- ‘Devastated’ Manu Ginobili says he has no clue how Spurs will re-energize for Game 7 35
- Spurs execution fails them when it matters most. Can they get it back for Game 7? 13
- Heat force a Finals Game 7 with thrilling overtime win over Spurs 22
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (107)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (83)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead