Sep 22, 2011, 6:04 PM EDT
From Mark Medina of the Los Angeles Times:
Metta took some steps to bring World Peace on Wednesday by donating $285,000 to mental health charities across America.
He has pledged to give away more than $500,000 that he raised by raffling off his 2010 Lakers championship ring.
At the Grammy Museum at L.A. Live, before handing giant checks to six women who represented various organizations, World Peace briefly discussed his own struggles with mental health.
“When I was a kid, I did see a counselor,” he said. “My mom helped me out, she realized I was having problems when I was 13 years old. She realized I was going through a lot.”
Personally, I never get tired of hearing about Mr. World Peace’s dedication to the mental health of our nation’s children — it’s a true redemption story for a man who used to be sports’ #1 villain, and Metta’s cause is definitely worth giving time and attention to. Congratulations, Mr. World Peace. You have, against all odds, become a role model who changed his name to Metta World Peace.
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 2
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 52
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 28
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (80)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (64)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights