Sep 22, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT
Watching Derrick Favors last season was watching a guy who has a high ceiling in the NBA, but wondering if he would ever reach it. He’s got the size and speed to be special, but he needed to get stronger and he needed to develop a midrange shot he can trust, upgrade his passing skills and cut down on the turnovers.
Apparently, the getting stronger part is taken care of.
“He’s in the best shape I’ve ever seen him in,” said Glover, who spent six seasons in the NBA, including a 1999-2004 run with the Hawks, and starred at Georgia Tech. “I think Derrick’s going to have a great year if they do decide to play.”
He added: “You can tell the difference in the shoulders. He has those Dwight Howard-type shoulders.”
Strength would help Favors in the post, where he needs to be more consistent. He is at the heart of the rebuilding plans in Utah, which wanted him as the centerpiece when they shipped Deron Williams to New Jersey.
There are a lot of questions about the Jazz next season (whenever that is) but if Favors has bulked up a little while working on his game, that answers one of them. It’s a start.
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 32
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 6
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 65
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 26
- Report: Heat, Goran Dragic agree to five-year deal worth $90 million 43
- Report: Paul Millsap had midnight meeting with Orlando, will decide between Magic and Hawks 17
- Report: Blazers, Damian Lillard nearing agreement on five-year max contract extension worth $120 million 17
- Report: Kawhi Leonard, Spurs reach deal for five-year, $90 million contract extension 19