Sep 22, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT
Watching Derrick Favors last season was watching a guy who has a high ceiling in the NBA, but wondering if he would ever reach it. He’s got the size and speed to be special, but he needed to get stronger and he needed to develop a midrange shot he can trust, upgrade his passing skills and cut down on the turnovers.
Apparently, the getting stronger part is taken care of.
“He’s in the best shape I’ve ever seen him in,” said Glover, who spent six seasons in the NBA, including a 1999-2004 run with the Hawks, and starred at Georgia Tech. “I think Derrick’s going to have a great year if they do decide to play.”
He added: “You can tell the difference in the shoulders. He has those Dwight Howard-type shoulders.”
Strength would help Favors in the post, where he needs to be more consistent. He is at the heart of the rebuilding plans in Utah, which wanted him as the centerpiece when they shipped Deron Williams to New Jersey.
There are a lot of questions about the Jazz next season (whenever that is) but if Favors has bulked up a little while working on his game, that answers one of them. It’s a start.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 9
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17