Sep 22, 2011, 1:51 PM EST
Watching Derrick Favors last season was watching a guy who has a high ceiling in the NBA, but wondering if he would ever reach it. He’s got the size and speed to be special, but he needed to get stronger and he needed to develop a midrange shot he can trust, upgrade his passing skills and cut down on the turnovers.
Apparently, the getting stronger part is taken care of.
“He’s in the best shape I’ve ever seen him in,” said Glover, who spent six seasons in the NBA, including a 1999-2004 run with the Hawks, and starred at Georgia Tech. “I think Derrick’s going to have a great year if they do decide to play.”
He added: “You can tell the difference in the shoulders. He has those Dwight Howard-type shoulders.”
Strength would help Favors in the post, where he needs to be more consistent. He is at the heart of the rebuilding plans in Utah, which wanted him as the centerpiece when they shipped Deron Williams to New Jersey.
There are a lot of questions about the Jazz next season (whenever that is) but if Favors has bulked up a little while working on his game, that answers one of them. It’s a start.
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 0
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 10
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 6
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31