Sep 22, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT
Watching Derrick Favors last season was watching a guy who has a high ceiling in the NBA, but wondering if he would ever reach it. He’s got the size and speed to be special, but he needed to get stronger and he needed to develop a midrange shot he can trust, upgrade his passing skills and cut down on the turnovers.
Apparently, the getting stronger part is taken care of.
“He’s in the best shape I’ve ever seen him in,” said Glover, who spent six seasons in the NBA, including a 1999-2004 run with the Hawks, and starred at Georgia Tech. “I think Derrick’s going to have a great year if they do decide to play.”
He added: “You can tell the difference in the shoulders. He has those Dwight Howard-type shoulders.”
Strength would help Favors in the post, where he needs to be more consistent. He is at the heart of the rebuilding plans in Utah, which wanted him as the centerpiece when they shipped Deron Williams to New Jersey.
There are a lot of questions about the Jazz next season (whenever that is) but if Favors has bulked up a little while working on his game, that answers one of them. It’s a start.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 31
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23