Sep 22, 2011, 1:51 PM EDT
Watching Derrick Favors last season was watching a guy who has a high ceiling in the NBA, but wondering if he would ever reach it. He’s got the size and speed to be special, but he needed to get stronger and he needed to develop a midrange shot he can trust, upgrade his passing skills and cut down on the turnovers.
Apparently, the getting stronger part is taken care of.
“He’s in the best shape I’ve ever seen him in,” said Glover, who spent six seasons in the NBA, including a 1999-2004 run with the Hawks, and starred at Georgia Tech. “I think Derrick’s going to have a great year if they do decide to play.”
He added: “You can tell the difference in the shoulders. He has those Dwight Howard-type shoulders.”
Strength would help Favors in the post, where he needs to be more consistent. He is at the heart of the rebuilding plans in Utah, which wanted him as the centerpiece when they shipped Deron Williams to New Jersey.
There are a lot of questions about the Jazz next season (whenever that is) but if Favors has bulked up a little while working on his game, that answers one of them. It’s a start.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 4
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10