Sep 22, 2011, 10:17 AM EST
UPDATE 10:17 am: Allen Iverson’s longtime friend and manager shot down the idea that Iverson will play in the game, according to CSNPhilly.com:
Gary Moore, Iverson’s longtime friend and manager, confirmed that the now 36-year-old Answer will not participate.
Which is a little sad, these free-flowing exhibitions are a good fit for Iverson’s game, and this would have been fun. But it’s not happening. Still, there is plenty of star power for this showdown.
9:48 am: Allen Iverson might be back on the court with NBA players Sunday.
We still won’t believe it until we see it, but organizers of Sunday’s Melo League vs. Philly showdown in the City of Brotherly Love are reportedly trying to get Iverson — still one of the most popular players ever in Sixers history — to play for Team Philadelphia, according to Kate Fagan of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Lot’s of “no comments” flying around officially.
Iverson is supposed to be in Philly hosting another event Saturday night.
The organizers also tried to recruit Kobe Bryant to play for Philly, but that appears less likely.
The return of Iverson — who wants another shot to play in the NBA after being out last season and playing in Turkey until he got injured — would add to a star-studded lineup.
- David Stern issues statement on passing of Nelson Mandela, players take to twitter 4
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 3
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 13
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 12
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 26
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)
- Report: Kenyon Martin, Metta World Peace had “heated” argument (35)