Sep 21, 2011, 11:56 AM EDT
Did we ever know the real Yao Ming?
The Yao I saw who with teammates and was came off as thoughtful in his talks with media, it was easy to like him, but he was really a mystery to a lot of fans. When he retired the discussion was more about marketing and global impact than his game. And there was so little talk of him as a person.
Giles Li, an Asian-American poet out of Boston, turned his poem “First Draft of Yao Ming’s Retirement Speech” into the video below. It is fantastic, and like all good art helps us view people and the world a little bit differently. Gives us new perspective. You should watch this.
Warning, some NSFW language is in here, not a lot but there is some. Thanks to Dan Devine at Ball Don’t Lie for finding this.
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 0
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 13
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 23
- Warriors survive James Harden in Game 2, take 2-0 lead in Western Conference finals 15
- PBT Extra: No DeMarre Carroll leaves Hawks in tough spot 3
- PBT Extra: J.R. makes case for hot hand theory, is loved in Cleveland 7
- PBT Extra: Draft Lottery winners start with Lakers 24