Sep 21, 2011, 11:56 AM EST
Did we ever know the real Yao Ming?
The Yao I saw who with teammates and was came off as thoughtful in his talks with media, it was easy to like him, but he was really a mystery to a lot of fans. When he retired the discussion was more about marketing and global impact than his game. And there was so little talk of him as a person.
Giles Li, an Asian-American poet out of Boston, turned his poem “First Draft of Yao Ming’s Retirement Speech” into the video below. It is fantastic, and like all good art helps us view people and the world a little bit differently. Gives us new perspective. You should watch this.
Warning, some NSFW language is in here, not a lot but there is some. Thanks to Dan Devine at Ball Don’t Lie for finding this.
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 2
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 1
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 1
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 5
- Did win over Lakers break Rockets out of their defensive slump? 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Thunder don’t look like playoff team yet 25
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 11