Sep 21, 2011, 11:56 AM EDT
Did we ever know the real Yao Ming?
The Yao I saw who with teammates and was came off as thoughtful in his talks with media, it was easy to like him, but he was really a mystery to a lot of fans. When he retired the discussion was more about marketing and global impact than his game. And there was so little talk of him as a person.
Giles Li, an Asian-American poet out of Boston, turned his poem “First Draft of Yao Ming’s Retirement Speech” into the video below. It is fantastic, and like all good art helps us view people and the world a little bit differently. Gives us new perspective. You should watch this.
Warning, some NSFW language is in here, not a lot but there is some. Thanks to Dan Devine at Ball Don’t Lie for finding this.
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 8
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64
- Trail Blazers assistant coach: ‘We didn’t publicize it, but we lost LaMarcus Aldridge’ 10