Sep 21, 2011, 11:56 AM EDT
Did we ever know the real Yao Ming?
The Yao I saw who with teammates and was came off as thoughtful in his talks with media, it was easy to like him, but he was really a mystery to a lot of fans. When he retired the discussion was more about marketing and global impact than his game. And there was so little talk of him as a person.
Giles Li, an Asian-American poet out of Boston, turned his poem “First Draft of Yao Ming’s Retirement Speech” into the video below. It is fantastic, and like all good art helps us view people and the world a little bit differently. Gives us new perspective. You should watch this.
Warning, some NSFW language is in here, not a lot but there is some. Thanks to Dan Devine at Ball Don’t Lie for finding this.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 0
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 1
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 2
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5