Sep 21, 2011, 10:59 AM EST
Next fall, the New Jersey Nets will follow Bruce Springsteen’s advice and “get out while we’re young” and drive up the road to the brand new Barclay Center in Brooklyn.
Which means the “New Jersey” part of their name will be a bit out of place. The Nets part could change, too, although teams tend to keep monikers even if they no longer fit — Lakers worked well in Minnesota, not so much in Los Angeles; Jazz was perfect in New Orleans and odd in Utah. But the location has to change.
And it looks like it will be the Brooklyn Nets. That’s what Barclay’s Center and Nets CEO Brett Yormark told The Big Lead.
The working title for some time has been the Brooklyn Nets. At some point, though, we will make an official name change. But for many people, this has been the assumed name, and the name Bruce Ratner [former majority now minority team owner and Barclays Center developer] has used for years.
When it was leaked that Houston is the likely host of the 2013 NBA All-Star Game I was a little surprised, because I was hoping for the new Barclay Center. (For selfish reasons, I’d rather go to NYC than Houston. Sorry Houston.) But Yormark makes it sound like they will go after some future All-Star games.
Let me put it this way: We are in the big event business, and the All-Star Game certainly would be classified as a big event. Our goal is to be aggressive to host every big event that we can.
Yormark says the Barclay Center will be ready to open on time in the fall of the 2012 season. Let’s just hope that’s not the next time the Nets take the court.
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 6
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 5
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18