Sep 21, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
The first phase of the $850 million renovation of Madison Square Garden is just about done and will open when the Rangers start their season soon. It will be ready for the Knicks whenever the NBA gets around to having a season, too.
We don’t know how good the Knicks will be once the season rolls around — they have some guys who can score, but role players and defense remain questions — but we know one thing for sure:
Knicks fans are going to eat well.
Interesting story (at least for us wanna be foodies) in the New York Times detailing the new food options in the renovated Garden.
Sausage Boss by Andrew Carmellini is one of four new concessions that high-end restaurateurs have created to serve mainstream food at the 43-year-old arena. Jean-Georges Vongerichten will offer Simply Chicken, Drew Nieporent will serve up burgers at Daily Burger and Jeremy Marshall of Aquagrill will open Lobster and Shrimp Roll, which pretty much describes his fare.
Also coming will be pastrami, corned beef and knishes from the Carnegie Deli; chopped brisket — and hand-carved prime rib — sandwiches from Hill Country; kosher food from Carlos & Gabby’s; a gluten-free concession; and desserts from Magnolia Bakery.
It’s one of the next wave in arenas — more than just boiled hot dogs and crappy nachos. Real food, with real flavors, and not just for the people sitting in the luxury boxes. Granted, this is a way for the building owners to make more money — it’s always about the money — but this is good for fans.
Well, unless you like crappy nachos.
Going to have to check this out next time I’m in the Garden.
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 0
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61