Sep 21, 2011, 8:45 AM EDT
The first phase of the $850 million renovation of Madison Square Garden is just about done and will open when the Rangers start their season soon. It will be ready for the Knicks whenever the NBA gets around to having a season, too.
We don’t know how good the Knicks will be once the season rolls around — they have some guys who can score, but role players and defense remain questions — but we know one thing for sure:
Knicks fans are going to eat well.
Interesting story (at least for us wanna be foodies) in the New York Times detailing the new food options in the renovated Garden.
Sausage Boss by Andrew Carmellini is one of four new concessions that high-end restaurateurs have created to serve mainstream food at the 43-year-old arena. Jean-Georges Vongerichten will offer Simply Chicken, Drew Nieporent will serve up burgers at Daily Burger and Jeremy Marshall of Aquagrill will open Lobster and Shrimp Roll, which pretty much describes his fare.
Also coming will be pastrami, corned beef and knishes from the Carnegie Deli; chopped brisket — and hand-carved prime rib — sandwiches from Hill Country; kosher food from Carlos & Gabby’s; a gluten-free concession; and desserts from Magnolia Bakery.
It’s one of the next wave in arenas — more than just boiled hot dogs and crappy nachos. Real food, with real flavors, and not just for the people sitting in the luxury boxes. Granted, this is a way for the building owners to make more money — it’s always about the money — but this is good for fans.
Well, unless you like crappy nachos.
Going to have to check this out next time I’m in the Garden.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 26
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 32
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4