Sep 20, 2011, 11:41 PM EDT
For once, the votes of Lakers fans could not vault one of their own up the board. Well, that or they actually saw him dance.
Metta World Peace — the dancer and Laker formerly known as Ron Artest — was the first contestant eliminated from Dancing with the Stars during Tuesday night’s elimination show. Which was not really a shock if you saw his first dance (and if you didn’t we give it to you again below). He received the lowest votes from the judges and the fans did not save him.
Credit to Artest for being willing to put it out there. It was a cute story, he wasn’t going to do it until his 8-year-old daughter convinced him to. He is donating the money he did make to a cancer charity. Good on him for giving it a shot.
I’m sad this didn’t go on longer, and as host Tom Bergeron said, “I just mourn all of the antics that we’re going to miss from this moment on.” Mostly I’m sad because during the lockout I’ll take all the distractions I can get. Still, he gained a new nickname from one of the judges, “danceatron.” That’ll stick.
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 2
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 11
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 13
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 7
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 48
- NBA fines Clippers for attempting to circumvent salary cap with DeAndre Jordan 10
- The most overlooked – and maybe most significant – reason Carmelo Anthony won’t waive his no-trade clause this season 17
- Phil Jackson is optimistic about Knicks coming season, except the start 7