Sep 20, 2011, 11:41 PM EDT
For once, the votes of Lakers fans could not vault one of their own up the board. Well, that or they actually saw him dance.
Metta World Peace — the dancer and Laker formerly known as Ron Artest — was the first contestant eliminated from Dancing with the Stars during Tuesday night’s elimination show. Which was not really a shock if you saw his first dance (and if you didn’t we give it to you again below). He received the lowest votes from the judges and the fans did not save him.
Credit to Artest for being willing to put it out there. It was a cute story, he wasn’t going to do it until his 8-year-old daughter convinced him to. He is donating the money he did make to a cancer charity. Good on him for giving it a shot.
I’m sad this didn’t go on longer, and as host Tom Bergeron said, “I just mourn all of the antics that we’re going to miss from this moment on.” Mostly I’m sad because during the lockout I’ll take all the distractions I can get. Still, he gained a new nickname from one of the judges, “danceatron.” That’ll stick.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11