Sep 20, 2011, 11:41 PM EDT
For once, the votes of Lakers fans could not vault one of their own up the board. Well, that or they actually saw him dance.
Metta World Peace — the dancer and Laker formerly known as Ron Artest — was the first contestant eliminated from Dancing with the Stars during Tuesday night’s elimination show. Which was not really a shock if you saw his first dance (and if you didn’t we give it to you again below). He received the lowest votes from the judges and the fans did not save him.
Credit to Artest for being willing to put it out there. It was a cute story, he wasn’t going to do it until his 8-year-old daughter convinced him to. He is donating the money he did make to a cancer charity. Good on him for giving it a shot.
I’m sad this didn’t go on longer, and as host Tom Bergeron said, “I just mourn all of the antics that we’re going to miss from this moment on.” Mostly I’m sad because during the lockout I’ll take all the distractions I can get. Still, he gained a new nickname from one of the judges, “danceatron.” That’ll stick.
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 24
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 27
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11
- Report: Cavaliers trade Brendan Haywood, Mike Miller, two second-round picks to Portland 17
- Blake Griffin, Stephen Curry among latest big names headed to Team USA mini-camp 8
- Kyrie Irving off crutches, cleared by doctors to start working out 8