Sep 20, 2011, 11:41 PM EST
For once, the votes of Lakers fans could not vault one of their own up the board. Well, that or they actually saw him dance.
Metta World Peace — the dancer and Laker formerly known as Ron Artest — was the first contestant eliminated from Dancing with the Stars during Tuesday night’s elimination show. Which was not really a shock if you saw his first dance (and if you didn’t we give it to you again below). He received the lowest votes from the judges and the fans did not save him.
Credit to Artest for being willing to put it out there. It was a cute story, he wasn’t going to do it until his 8-year-old daughter convinced him to. He is donating the money he did make to a cancer charity. Good on him for giving it a shot.
I’m sad this didn’t go on longer, and as host Tom Bergeron said, “I just mourn all of the antics that we’re going to miss from this moment on.” Mostly I’m sad because during the lockout I’ll take all the distractions I can get. Still, he gained a new nickname from one of the judges, “danceatron.” That’ll stick.
- Wesley Matthews’ injury will test Trail Blazers’ spacing 3
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: Nobody can stop E’Twaun Moore; Westbrook’s pretty good, too 10
- Training like the Pros: Recapping a month-long Nike Basketball workout experience 4
- Report: JaVale McGee can’t reach deal with Celtics 11
- Craig Sager makes long-awaited return to TNT after 11-month battle with leukemia 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 20
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 14
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14