Sep 20, 2011, 11:41 PM EDT
For once, the votes of Lakers fans could not vault one of their own up the board. Well, that or they actually saw him dance.
Metta World Peace — the dancer and Laker formerly known as Ron Artest — was the first contestant eliminated from Dancing with the Stars during Tuesday night’s elimination show. Which was not really a shock if you saw his first dance (and if you didn’t we give it to you again below). He received the lowest votes from the judges and the fans did not save him.
Credit to Artest for being willing to put it out there. It was a cute story, he wasn’t going to do it until his 8-year-old daughter convinced him to. He is donating the money he did make to a cancer charity. Good on him for giving it a shot.
I’m sad this didn’t go on longer, and as host Tom Bergeron said, “I just mourn all of the antics that we’re going to miss from this moment on.” Mostly I’m sad because during the lockout I’ll take all the distractions I can get. Still, he gained a new nickname from one of the judges, “danceatron.” That’ll stick.
- Nets defense smothers Raptors, gets Brooklyn Game 1 win on road 20
- PBT Extra: Are Pacers or Spurs in any trouble in first round? 5
- All PBT’s first round playoff previews in one place 0
- Grizzlies guard Nick Calathes suspended 20 games for violating NBA’s anti-drug policy 28
- Craig Sager has acute leukemia 29