Sep 20, 2011, 5:26 PM EST
Jason Terry is one of the pessimists. He doesn’t want to be, but like a lot of players who were disappointed after last week’s negotiating session he’s not sure the owners and players are that close to a deal.
But whenever the two sides do make a deal, he is going to re-sign with the Dallas Mavericks, he told ESPNDallas.com. Negotiating leverage be damned. Terry was about as clear about his intentions as you can be.
“I’ll just put it in big, bold letters, ‘I want to retire a Maverick, period. Big period,’ ” Terry said. “So, whatever we have to do, whenever this thing gets back started, I’m sure we’ll be able to do something to make that happen. It’s definitely something I would love to see happen.”
Dallas wants him back, too. So this is going to happen unless the new labor deal somehow prevents it.
About that labor deal, here is what Terry (the Mavs player representative to the union) said about where things stand.
“When you’re in (the negotiating room), as opposed to reading in the newspaper or watching on TV, you really get to see people’s reactions and really see how important this deal is, not only to the owners, but to the players and not only my era but to eras that we will leave behind,” Terry said. “It’s a lot of work that has to be done. It’s not anything that you can iron out in a day or two. This is a lengthy process and if you are not on the same page with the person you are negotiating with then it’s just going to make for a long negotiation.
“Because it’s getting down to the final minutes, we don’t want to rush into anything just to try to save the season. But, as we stand right now, the owners aren’t moving and we definitely are staying strong together as a union.”
Doesn’t really make you an optimist, does it?
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 15
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)