Sep 20, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
I can relate to Celtics brain trust Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge right now. Sure, there are things to do during the NBA lockout, some things to organize and some busywork to get done (in PBT’s case, we have our “what your team needs to do when the lockout ends series).
But man, we’re a itching for a little real NBA action.
Asked what he’s been up to, coach Doc Rivers said, “Golf, family and that’s about it.
“Decompressing is always good. We’ve all done that pretty much, and we’re antsy again.”
Celtics president Danny Ainge knows the free agent market will be like the Wild West once a new CBA is reached, but all he can do is prepare wish lists.
“We’ve done that,” he said, “but we’ve done that every summer, every draft and every trade deadline. It’s the same as usual. We’ve just had a lot more time to go over things. We don’t know what’s going to happen, but we’ll be prepared. We’ve just gotten organized in our scouting. We’re just more organized now.”
Ainge is right, anybody that watched the free agent feeding frenzy that followed the end of the NFL lockout knows what is coming. The smart and prepared will fare the best. Ainge has proven to be both those things, but this promises to be a test unlike any other. And the Celtics have a lot of roster spots to fill, like half a team.
But right now, it’s not hard to picture him on his couch at about 2 in the afternoon trying to decide whether to watch a Criminal Minds rerun or Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. By the way, Guy Fieri wins that little contest by a mile.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 13
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 21
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 31
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2