Sep 20, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
I can relate to Celtics brain trust Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge right now. Sure, there are things to do during the NBA lockout, some things to organize and some busywork to get done (in PBT’s case, we have our “what your team needs to do when the lockout ends series).
But man, we’re a itching for a little real NBA action.
Asked what he’s been up to, coach Doc Rivers said, “Golf, family and that’s about it.
“Decompressing is always good. We’ve all done that pretty much, and we’re antsy again.”
Celtics president Danny Ainge knows the free agent market will be like the Wild West once a new CBA is reached, but all he can do is prepare wish lists.
“We’ve done that,” he said, “but we’ve done that every summer, every draft and every trade deadline. It’s the same as usual. We’ve just had a lot more time to go over things. We don’t know what’s going to happen, but we’ll be prepared. We’ve just gotten organized in our scouting. We’re just more organized now.”
Ainge is right, anybody that watched the free agent feeding frenzy that followed the end of the NFL lockout knows what is coming. The smart and prepared will fare the best. Ainge has proven to be both those things, but this promises to be a test unlike any other. And the Celtics have a lot of roster spots to fill, like half a team.
But right now, it’s not hard to picture him on his couch at about 2 in the afternoon trying to decide whether to watch a Criminal Minds rerun or Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. By the way, Guy Fieri wins that little contest by a mile.
- Preview: Did Grizzlies figure out Spurs or will Game 3 be more of the same? 0
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 18
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 21
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 27
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Follow LIVE: Champions League final
- Live box score: UEFA Champions League final
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- PHT: Brassard says Marchand shows no respect
- PST: Neymar reportedly set to join Barcelona