Sep 20, 2011, 1:32 PM EDT
I can relate to Celtics brain trust Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge right now. Sure, there are things to do during the NBA lockout, some things to organize and some busywork to get done (in PBT’s case, we have our “what your team needs to do when the lockout ends series).
But man, we’re a itching for a little real NBA action.
Asked what he’s been up to, coach Doc Rivers said, “Golf, family and that’s about it.
“Decompressing is always good. We’ve all done that pretty much, and we’re antsy again.”
Celtics president Danny Ainge knows the free agent market will be like the Wild West once a new CBA is reached, but all he can do is prepare wish lists.
“We’ve done that,” he said, “but we’ve done that every summer, every draft and every trade deadline. It’s the same as usual. We’ve just had a lot more time to go over things. We don’t know what’s going to happen, but we’ll be prepared. We’ve just gotten organized in our scouting. We’re just more organized now.”
Ainge is right, anybody that watched the free agent feeding frenzy that followed the end of the NFL lockout knows what is coming. The smart and prepared will fare the best. Ainge has proven to be both those things, but this promises to be a test unlike any other. And the Celtics have a lot of roster spots to fill, like half a team.
But right now, it’s not hard to picture him on his couch at about 2 in the afternoon trying to decide whether to watch a Criminal Minds rerun or Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. By the way, Guy Fieri wins that little contest by a mile.
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 3
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 1
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3
- Sounds like Pacers president Larry Bird, head coach Frank Vogel don’t want Roy Hibbert back next year 25
- PBT staff playoff predictions: Lots of Golden State love from us 1