Sep 19, 2011, 11:35 PM EDT
Lou Amundson is not a game changer inside, but he is the kind of guy every team could use — an effort guy who can rebound and defend. Well, he can be that when he’s healthy, but the Warriors brought him in last season and he played only 46 games and averaged just 15 minutes in those.
He had a finger injury and missed more than a month to start the season, he had back spasms around the All-Star Break. Through that, he never really gained the trust of new coach Keith Smart.
Now, Amundson tells Matt Steinmetz of CSNBayArea.com he is ready to go next season.
“In retrospect, how I feel now with how I felt then. I wanted to feel like I was a 100 percent but knowing how I feel, I definitely wasn’t,” Amundson said after a workout with teammates. “That’s difficult when you want to play and play at a high level and your body just won’t let you. With the finger and the back, it was a tough season. Obviously I want to stay healthy this year….
“(The lockout is) unfortunate, everybody wants to play,” Amundson said. “In my case, coming off a year I didn’t perform like I wanted, and I was injured a lot of the season, I really feel like I have unfinished business.” I want to get out there and show everybody up there in the Bay what I can do. I’m excited to start playing, whenever that may be.”
The Warriors are not exactly impressive across the front line and new coach Mark Jackson is going to need more out of David Lee, something out of Andris Biedrins, and he’s going to need Amundson to be an impact energy guy off the bench again. Like he was in Phoenix. At least this year it seems like his body may let him.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 10
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 28
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85