Sep 19, 2011, 10:26 AM EDT
After a run all the way to the NBA championships he partied all over the globe, then after a short break there was a few weeks of private workouts with his longtime shooting coach Holger Geschwindner, then he went to Germany to train and play with the national team in EuroBasket.
Nowitzki told ESPN’s Marc Stein that since Germany was eliminated early from EuroBasket — a loss that knocked them out of any spots in next year’s Olympics — he is taking some time off and will not sign with any overseas teams until November, if the lockout lasts that long.
“I’m going to get away for a little bit and get some well-deserved rest that I didn’t get before,” Nowitzki said, referring to the whirlwind existence during and immediately after the Mavericks’ long playoff run to their first-ever championship. “That’s my plan….
“Let’s see where the lockout is in a few weeks and then we’ll have something to talk about,” Nowitzki said of finding temporary employment abroads.
(Yes, I know that quote doesn’t say November, but it is used elsewhere in the article.)
If Nowitzki does play overseas, he likely would sign with German powerhouse Bayern Munich. But we don’t have to worry about that for a while. For now, Nowitzki is recharging the batteries.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 3
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48