Sep 19, 2011, 10:26 AM EDT
After a run all the way to the NBA championships he partied all over the globe, then after a short break there was a few weeks of private workouts with his longtime shooting coach Holger Geschwindner, then he went to Germany to train and play with the national team in EuroBasket.
Nowitzki told ESPN’s Marc Stein that since Germany was eliminated early from EuroBasket — a loss that knocked them out of any spots in next year’s Olympics — he is taking some time off and will not sign with any overseas teams until November, if the lockout lasts that long.
“I’m going to get away for a little bit and get some well-deserved rest that I didn’t get before,” Nowitzki said, referring to the whirlwind existence during and immediately after the Mavericks’ long playoff run to their first-ever championship. “That’s my plan….
“Let’s see where the lockout is in a few weeks and then we’ll have something to talk about,” Nowitzki said of finding temporary employment abroads.
(Yes, I know that quote doesn’t say November, but it is used elsewhere in the article.)
If Nowitzki does play overseas, he likely would sign with German powerhouse Bayern Munich. But we don’t have to worry about that for a while. For now, Nowitzki is recharging the batteries.
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 21
- Report: Mike Krzyzewski to return, coach Team USA in 2016 Olympics 12
- Lakers GM Kupchak denies he, Howard talked about D’Antoni 17
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 6
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 6
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- PBT: Rugged Pacers hope to slow high-flying Heat
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree tears achilles, out six months