Sep 19, 2011, 10:26 AM EDT
After a run all the way to the NBA championships he partied all over the globe, then after a short break there was a few weeks of private workouts with his longtime shooting coach Holger Geschwindner, then he went to Germany to train and play with the national team in EuroBasket.
Nowitzki told ESPN’s Marc Stein that since Germany was eliminated early from EuroBasket — a loss that knocked them out of any spots in next year’s Olympics — he is taking some time off and will not sign with any overseas teams until November, if the lockout lasts that long.
“I’m going to get away for a little bit and get some well-deserved rest that I didn’t get before,” Nowitzki said, referring to the whirlwind existence during and immediately after the Mavericks’ long playoff run to their first-ever championship. “That’s my plan….
“Let’s see where the lockout is in a few weeks and then we’ll have something to talk about,” Nowitzki said of finding temporary employment abroads.
(Yes, I know that quote doesn’t say November, but it is used elsewhere in the article.)
If Nowitzki does play overseas, he likely would sign with German powerhouse Bayern Munich. But we don’t have to worry about that for a while. For now, Nowitzki is recharging the batteries.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 0
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 28
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 17
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 42
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 15
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6