Sep 19, 2011, 5:04 PM EDT
October 9 was to be the day of the first NBA preseason games. They haven’t been officially cancelled, but good luck finding anyone who thinks there will be games that night.
But there will be a game that evening — the rematch of the Goodman and Drew leagues.
From the moment they walked off the court, the guys from the Los Angeles-based Drew League wanted a rematch with the Washington D.C. based Goodman League. The two had played what had been the biggest showdown in the summer of pro-am league showdowns. Goodman won 135-134 but Drew players complained they did not know you couldn’t foul out and there were some borderline calls at the end.
However, attempts to pull it together fell apart and seemed dead.
Now the two sides have reached a deal, according to tweets from both Drew and Goodman officials. Goodman was to play a Seattle-based team that day but that is now trying to be rescheduled for a week later, Oct. 16, according to the USA Today.
No word on the players yet, officially. Drew League usually brings James Harden, Brandon Jennings and they have had conversations with Kobe Bryant (if he’s LA enough for Jennings). Goodman brings Kevin Durant and a host of guys. This should be fun… I’d rather be at an NBA preseason game that night (meaning the season was coming on schedule) but this should be entertaining.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37