Sep 19, 2011, 6:40 PM EST
Rudy Gay and Caron Butler both were the best perimeter players on their team. Both went down with injuries in the regular season, and both injuries were thought to doom their squad when the playoffs rolled around. Both teams then went on to have franchise-best playoff runs without their stars.
Now, both are going to be back on the court.
Butler — who had knee surgery — is going to be back on the court this Saturday playing for the Goodman League when it takes on Indiana, according to a tweet from Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel. He was expected to be back for the season, if it had started on time, so this fits with that training schedule.
Gay has been cleared to resume basketball activities, according to the Commercial Appeal. His shoulder has been declared 100 percent by Dr. James Andrews, which is about as good a medical endorsement as you’re going to get.
Both should be ready to go whenever training camps open.
The return of Gay should make a good team even better next season. The question for teams often is how to improve with the personnel they have, but for the Grizzlies just getting Gay back should do it.
Butler is a free agent, and while he has said he wants to return to the Mavericks and they want him, if he is healthy he will have multiple suitors for his skills.
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 1
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 7
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 16
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 12
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)