Sep 18, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
There are a lot of changes coming to the Pistons once play resumes. A new owner who wants to contend, a new coach and a new coaching staff. With it, it looks like there’s going to be a change of approach, one way or another. From the Orlando Sentinel:
The Orlando Magic are about to lose a key member of their basketball operations staff.Charles Klask, the Magic’s scouting information manager, has accepted a job with the Detroit Pistons.“Charles was our statistics guru,” Magic General Manager Otis Smith told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday.
“He really delved into the numbers for us and broke down the numbers for us — a lot of breaking down the teams from a statistical regard, helping Stan formulate his game plans from a statistical perspective. He was huge to our staff.”
A move towards a better analytic approach could do wonders for the Pistons’ roster. They’ve relied on veterans and inefficient athletes too long and while statistical analysis has its drawback, having it in the conversation can’t hurt things. Especially since the first thing the Pistons need to determine is how to better spend their money. (Here’s a hint, it starts with Charlie Villanueva.)
Meanwhile, for the Magic, there’s got to be some concern. They need more brainpower to reconfigure the Magic for another run, not less. There are replacements to be had, but it’ll be interesting to see how SVG’s lineup patterns change with a shift in the scouting analysis, no matter how subtle.
(HT: Piston Powered)
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4