Sep 18, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
There are a lot of changes coming to the Pistons once play resumes. A new owner who wants to contend, a new coach and a new coaching staff. With it, it looks like there’s going to be a change of approach, one way or another. From the Orlando Sentinel:
The Orlando Magic are about to lose a key member of their basketball operations staff.Charles Klask, the Magic’s scouting information manager, has accepted a job with the Detroit Pistons.“Charles was our statistics guru,” Magic General Manager Otis Smith told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday.
“He really delved into the numbers for us and broke down the numbers for us — a lot of breaking down the teams from a statistical regard, helping Stan formulate his game plans from a statistical perspective. He was huge to our staff.”
A move towards a better analytic approach could do wonders for the Pistons’ roster. They’ve relied on veterans and inefficient athletes too long and while statistical analysis has its drawback, having it in the conversation can’t hurt things. Especially since the first thing the Pistons need to determine is how to better spend their money. (Here’s a hint, it starts with Charlie Villanueva.)
Meanwhile, for the Magic, there’s got to be some concern. They need more brainpower to reconfigure the Magic for another run, not less. There are replacements to be had, but it’ll be interesting to see how SVG’s lineup patterns change with a shift in the scouting analysis, no matter how subtle.
(HT: Piston Powered)
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30