Sep 18, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
There are a lot of changes coming to the Pistons once play resumes. A new owner who wants to contend, a new coach and a new coaching staff. With it, it looks like there’s going to be a change of approach, one way or another. From the Orlando Sentinel:
The Orlando Magic are about to lose a key member of their basketball operations staff.Charles Klask, the Magic’s scouting information manager, has accepted a job with the Detroit Pistons.“Charles was our statistics guru,” Magic General Manager Otis Smith told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday.
“He really delved into the numbers for us and broke down the numbers for us — a lot of breaking down the teams from a statistical regard, helping Stan formulate his game plans from a statistical perspective. He was huge to our staff.”
A move towards a better analytic approach could do wonders for the Pistons’ roster. They’ve relied on veterans and inefficient athletes too long and while statistical analysis has its drawback, having it in the conversation can’t hurt things. Especially since the first thing the Pistons need to determine is how to better spend their money. (Here’s a hint, it starts with Charlie Villanueva.)
Meanwhile, for the Magic, there’s got to be some concern. They need more brainpower to reconfigure the Magic for another run, not less. There are replacements to be had, but it’ll be interesting to see how SVG’s lineup patterns change with a shift in the scouting analysis, no matter how subtle.
(HT: Piston Powered)
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 31
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 14
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 27
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 14
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 15
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 23
- Cavaliers, with LeBron James and Kevin Love, favored by oddsmakers to win 2015 NBA title 29
- Scout says Carmelo Anthony can be good triangle fit — if he moves the ball 20