Sep 18, 2011, 9:00 AM EDT
There are a lot of changes coming to the Pistons once play resumes. A new owner who wants to contend, a new coach and a new coaching staff. With it, it looks like there’s going to be a change of approach, one way or another. From the Orlando Sentinel:
The Orlando Magic are about to lose a key member of their basketball operations staff.Charles Klask, the Magic’s scouting information manager, has accepted a job with the Detroit Pistons.“Charles was our statistics guru,” Magic General Manager Otis Smith told the Orlando Sentinel on Thursday.
“He really delved into the numbers for us and broke down the numbers for us — a lot of breaking down the teams from a statistical regard, helping Stan formulate his game plans from a statistical perspective. He was huge to our staff.”
A move towards a better analytic approach could do wonders for the Pistons’ roster. They’ve relied on veterans and inefficient athletes too long and while statistical analysis has its drawback, having it in the conversation can’t hurt things. Especially since the first thing the Pistons need to determine is how to better spend their money. (Here’s a hint, it starts with Charlie Villanueva.)
Meanwhile, for the Magic, there’s got to be some concern. They need more brainpower to reconfigure the Magic for another run, not less. There are replacements to be had, but it’ll be interesting to see how SVG’s lineup patterns change with a shift in the scouting analysis, no matter how subtle.
(HT: Piston Powered)
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 0
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 13
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 31