Sep 17, 2011, 4:30 PM EST
In the absence of an actual NBA season, 2K Sports’ NBA 2k12 may be the best some people are going to get this year. The most popular NBA game on the market goes on sale October 4th, and in addition to a wide array of legend players including Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Moses Malone, and every other legend you can think of, there are some interesting elements at play in this addition. One that’s likely to draw quite a bit of conversation is this.
LeBron James will begin NBA 2K12 as a 98 – the highest rated player in the game – while Kobe Bryant has settled in at 94. Miami also features the 96 rated Dwayne Wade and the 80 rated Chris Bosh (who drops from the 87 he started 2K11 with). Bryant and the Heat, who have no players outside the “big three” above 68, are the only ratings revealed so far.
James and Byrant were both rated a 97 in 2K11. But this year, with Bryant showing more signs of the inevitable downgrade that comes with age, James has passed him. Wait, wait, don’t get off the couch. I’ll make the jokes for you. Choose your favorite!
a. Does James’ number invert to a 79 in the playoffs?
b. Huh, didn’t know 2k12 was trying out a new “three-quarters only” game system.
c. The only rating that matters is how high the ring count is.
d. Kobe Bryant will now spend an hour after he plays the game first time practicing to try and get his rating up.
This will upset a lot of people. It shouldn’t. The choking, the shrinking, the non-clutchness, whatever you want to call it, none of it impacts James’ ability. And if you’re able to control James, you should be able to avoid all his weaknesses anyway. You can simply get him past the mental breakdowns he has. There’s nothing intangible about knee soreness.
The other bit of news is that in the draft system, David Stern and Adam Silver will do the actual announcing. My question, can we have them in a simulated lockout negotiations, complete with Stern asking Silver what he thinks about things? Because that would be the best. Well, okay, an actual season would be best. But comparatively.
(HT: TBJ on the Stern/Silverness)
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 0
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39