Sep 17, 2011, 4:30 PM EDT
In the absence of an actual NBA season, 2K Sports’ NBA 2k12 may be the best some people are going to get this year. The most popular NBA game on the market goes on sale October 4th, and in addition to a wide array of legend players including Hakeem Olajuwon, Clyde Drexler, Moses Malone, and every other legend you can think of, there are some interesting elements at play in this addition. One that’s likely to draw quite a bit of conversation is this.
LeBron James will begin NBA 2K12 as a 98 – the highest rated player in the game – while Kobe Bryant has settled in at 94. Miami also features the 96 rated Dwayne Wade and the 80 rated Chris Bosh (who drops from the 87 he started 2K11 with). Bryant and the Heat, who have no players outside the “big three” above 68, are the only ratings revealed so far.
James and Byrant were both rated a 97 in 2K11. But this year, with Bryant showing more signs of the inevitable downgrade that comes with age, James has passed him. Wait, wait, don’t get off the couch. I’ll make the jokes for you. Choose your favorite!
a. Does James’ number invert to a 79 in the playoffs?
b. Huh, didn’t know 2k12 was trying out a new “three-quarters only” game system.
c. The only rating that matters is how high the ring count is.
d. Kobe Bryant will now spend an hour after he plays the game first time practicing to try and get his rating up.
This will upset a lot of people. It shouldn’t. The choking, the shrinking, the non-clutchness, whatever you want to call it, none of it impacts James’ ability. And if you’re able to control James, you should be able to avoid all his weaknesses anyway. You can simply get him past the mental breakdowns he has. There’s nothing intangible about knee soreness.
The other bit of news is that in the draft system, David Stern and Adam Silver will do the actual announcing. My question, can we have them in a simulated lockout negotiations, complete with Stern asking Silver what he thinks about things? Because that would be the best. Well, okay, an actual season would be best. But comparatively.
(HT: TBJ on the Stern/Silverness)
- Reports: Bulls close to firing Tom Thibodeau 0
- PBT Extra: Despite ending, Hawks had season worth celebrating 0
- Bucks’ Jared Dudley: “Most guys don’t want to play with Kobe” 38
- PBT Extra: Expect a healthy Stephen Curry for Game 5… sorry Houston 3
- Hawks’ excellent season shouldn’t be discredited because of playoff exit 24
- Cavaliers complete sweep of Hawks, advance to NBA Finals 82
- Kyrie Irving back in Cavaliers lineup for Game 4 vs. Hawks 5
- NBA: No Game 5 suspension for Dwight Howard, flagrant-1 for hit on Andrew Bogut stands as called 23