Sep 17, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
You may have thought after talks broke down (or never really existed) with Besiktas, that the hubub about Kobe Bryant playing overseas would die down. But Bryant loves playing, will never admit that he needs time to rest, and has an insatiable desire to beat other human beings at basketball. So Bryant wants you to know, he’s not closed to that idea. From the AP:
Kobe Bryant said that he’s still considering playing overseas because an owners’ lockout of players threatens to sabotage the upcoming NBA season.
The Los Angeles Lakers superstar told The Associated Press on the sidelines of a youth basketball clinic in Singapore that he didn’t know if there will be a 2011-12 season and hasn’t ruled out playing abroad.
“I could,” Bryant said Saturday. “I’m playing abroad right now.”
Bryant may just be making noise. He’s got enough engagements with Nike and various other functions to keep him busy. Eventually he’ll want to work out with the Lakers (though the AP reports no such practice has been scheduled). And Bryant has at least stayed fairly involved in the labor talks. But if things turn bleaker (than they already are), it’s not crazy to think Bryant will eventually pursue a spot in China, Italy (where he has roots) or elsewhere.
Until then, though, it’s just talk. Like everything else in the lockout. (Well, except for Deron Williams who continues to play for Besiktas. Whoops.)
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 14
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32